Got my Shay

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by shamus, Feb 6, 2001.

1. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Got my new Bachmann HO 3 truck shay yesterday, it's a knockout, quiet running, silky smooth, details are fantastic. Just in the middle of weathering it, as it was Un Dec. I have also painted the cab roof. Show photo's later on in the year.
  2. George

George Member

Congrats on the new steamer.

Does MDC Roundhouse still make them?

george.
  3. Railery

Railery Member

My Shay is on it's way. i ordered an undec
    too. Can't wait to see your pics.
  4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hey Shamus - your shay is featured in this month's product review in MR magazine. I haven't read the review yet, but it sure is a nice looking machine!
    There's also a feature article on Boone Morrison's HOn3 layout. It features scratchbuilt redwood trees a scale 280' tall!A really nice piece of work.
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Yes, MDC do both kit form and ready to run. I would prefer the Kit to build, apart from it being cheaper, you can make a better job than the ready to run one. If you take your time with it. I have three of these I made from the kits, and all run very well. The new Bachmann 3 truck shay, on the other hand, is far better than anything else in the Backmann warehouse.
  6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Charlie, Yes I know Boone quite well.

My shay is now weathered, Cab roof painted etc. Found a slight jerky movement going down grage, I shall have to investigate that myself.
    have you had a look at my website yet?
    http://www.badger-creek.co.uk
    Take a looksee.
    shamus

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 02-08-2001).]
  7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Very impressive website Shamus! You are one well-rounded model railroader. Photography, graphics, construction, wiring, scenery, scratchbuilding... I would be happy to master any one of these skills.
    Maybe I can brush up my photography enough to where I could e-mail you some idea of what I'm attempting here.

(Is that really a picture of you, or is that Michael Caine?) [​IMG]
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Charlie, Funny that about Michael Caine, he has the same birthday as me. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yes, anytime you need help in photography or any other aspect of model railroading, just ask, or email from my website..
    cheers
    shamus
  9. Railery

Railery Member

Well i got my shay yesterday. WOW what detail. i saw your pic of the weathered shay Shamus, looked good. When i get mine done i will show u the pic but it won't be for awhile.
  10. Railery

Railery Member

It's a 80 ton three truck shay painted unlettered (steel cab). The detail in the cab section is awesome and decoder ready. Gotta love it. i will be making my own decals for it and weathering it. i will get a photo up by tomorrow of it now.
  11. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Railery, Glad you got your shay, lets see some pics of yours. Mine was undec. and wood sided cab, what's yours?
  12. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Great, look forward to seeing it, here's a photo of mine weathered and lettered.
    [​IMG]
  13. Railery

Railery Member

Hi Shamus, i know i posted somewhere that my shay has arrived and u asked for a pic. Well i can't find the post so i'm posting here [​IMG]

This is the trestle that is torn out now:
    [​IMG]

This is another shot of the Shay.
    [​IMG]

And here is the shot of the cab, haven't learned how to take it apart yet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i like the insides, u can see the opening to the broiler. This was the 80 Ton Steal 3 Truck Shay, painted but not decaled. i will be adding my own and weathering [​IMG]