Good luck Toronto!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
All those in Toronto (and Canada), Good luck for the Olympic decision this Friday. Been there, done that, know what it's like with what Sydney was like in the lead up!
smile.gif

TOOT!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Thanks Woodie. Unfortunately Friday is the 13th. so we will needs lots of luck. Toronto is close to bankruptcy because our provincial government has chosen to download too much responsibilty to the municipality without providing the funds to deal with them. The municipality has had to increase property taxes by 5% while at the same time, cutting out many services. Now many wonder how much money they will have to provide to run the olympics. Tourism should help but look what has happened in Montreal!!!

------------------
Robin
NARA member #2
http://members.nbci.com/Matthyro MAT

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
As much as I'd like to see Canada get it, I'd rather see it go where it hasn't been, like China.

Hey! We'd get some great background reports about the live steam still there!

George.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
The Olympics have only been outside Europe or North America Melbourne 1956, Tokyo 1964, Seoul 1988 and Sydney 2000. Four times ever! Good luck Toronto, but I do think it will be Beijing. Paris is too close to Athens. North America? St Louis, LA (Twice) Mexico City, Atlanta, Montreal..... Is that not enough? However..... Comrade Samaranch cant prounounce BEIJING.... Just like he couldn't pronounce SYDNEY...."And the winner is....... SID-AH-NEE" BAY-AH-JING might be beyond his vocabulary! So it could be TA-RON-TO to save him that embarrasment again!! hehehehe
smile.gif

TOOT!

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
The vote was announced moments ago.

Congratulations Beijing!
smile.gif

Ontarian taxpayers didn't need another lotto anyway, and it gives us something to look forward to in 2012 if Toronto gets it then. Frankly, I'd like to see it in Berlin.

Hey Woodie! It's close for you by comparision. Think they'll still have steam in China by 2008??

George.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Goerge,

That was quick!! Not 10 secs after it! Beijing is still a 11 hour flight from Sydney so not necessarily closer!! SHuld arrange a trek through China and the Trans Siberian express. My mum did that all on the train a few years ago. Condolences to Toronto. And he said it right too!! "BAY-JING"

TOOT!

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Woodie,

I was sitting on top of the tube waiting for another story. Work is a curse, but you learn everything from it.

Toronto isn't ready for anything like the olympics. They may have the CN Tower (which I love), but you can't sponsor a large event like that in a place where they roll up the sidewalks at 7 PM! The best thing they have for themselves there is the Hockey Hall of Fame. At the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) no relation to the railway, they used to have a large railway layout every year. When they did away with that, I stopped going! Just for that, it serves them right that Beijing got it!

George.