Good ideas wanted!

mennellrm

Sep 7, 2004
Dryden, Ontario
I would like to try making a pinhole lens for my camera to take advantage of the increased depth of field that you really need for good model photography. I thought about getting an old manual lens for my camera but the old manual ones won't fit on the electronic camera body I am using (minolta) so I can't use that idea. Another thought was to buy an older camera with detachable lense to play with. Another idea was to bite the bullet and buy a Fricko pinhole lens but the price makes me hesitate.
Have any of you rabid photographers out there tried this? What were the results? What would you suggest?
I have a couple of mag. articles on pinhole building but would sure appreciate any advice you can give before I get in too deep.
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Sounds like an interesting idea Ralph. Have you experimented with the depth of field on your digi-cam yet? I do a lot of shots with the auto setting, but when I really need D.O.F. I go to manual and set the aperture as small as possible.

Val

mennellrm

Sep 7, 2004
Dryden, Ontario
Val
I use the digital cam a lot. The smallest aperture on it is f8 so I don't really have a great DOF. The Minolta goes to f22. I have also used a 3x teleconverter which helps but isn't the real answer.
I keep hoping that someone will have some experience to share about pinhole lenses but it seems that not many have tried it.
Ralph

mennellrm

Sep 7, 2004
Dryden, Ontario
Val
I use the digital cam a lot. The smallest aperture on it is f8 so I don't really have a great DOF. The Minolta goes to f22. I have also used a 3x teleconverter which helps but isn't the real answer.
I keep hoping that someone will have some experience to share about pinhole lenses but it seems that not many have tried it.
Ralph

JBBVry

May 14, 2004
Thomasville NC
groups.yahoo.com
I tryed a pinhole lens on my 35mm one time i didn't like it, the photos were not all that much better than the ones useing the other lens i had used for the photos i make and post here i use a Sony FD Mavica it is old and not all that good any more but it still works "somtimes " and i get some good photos to post here. I am looking at a new HP at wal mart for about 120 that sould make some nice pics also.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You might want to look for Bob Boudreau's Fundy Northern website. He takes some really great pictures with a pin-hole camera (and his models aren't bad either...!). I am afraid that the URL escapes me right now, but google should find him for you. he has recently moved to digital, so may have some insights for you.

Andrew