Gondola Loads: What types and how to make?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I have four 50’ Athearn gondolas, and three P1K drop end gondolas that I am trying to figure out loads for. I know that gondolas basically carry just about anything. I am looking not only for suggestions but also how one would go about make a certain type of gondola load.

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Tom,

What a "loaded" question. :D
My first suggestion would be to go to www.index.mrmag.com and do a search under "gondola" "load". This will so how many magazine articles that there have been and in what magazine they are in. Then all you have to do is find that issue.
Around here all the gondolas that I see are full of pulpwood.

Dan

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Tom I would try to make loads that would look at home on your layout. Not knowing where in time or place your layout is supposed to be I can't suggest a load. That said around here for the last 40 years if you see a gon it will have pulpwood in it.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Tom:
I can suggest the following categories:
lumpy stuff, like ballast.
scrap metal, large lumps down to small shavings.
rails & ties or rails on ties or tyson rayles. ;)
steel products - pipes, beams, coils
sticks
things under tarpaulins.
railfans on benches.
If your ends fold down, you can make loads that are longer than the gondola, but you need a spare flat car at each end.
If you can get the NMRA Bulletin, they've had a series for a few years called "Open Loads".

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I model mine empty...that is, I use a hint of past loads, i.e. pallets, scraps of packing lumber, lengths of chain, rolled or balled up tarps, etc. Perish the thought of covering all that rivet detail and weathering I've done.

Jorge

Mar 3, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello.

My gons carry scrap from the my layout to my friends steel mill on his layout. we physically interchange cars. I make the scrap loads out of tin foil that has been weathered with that Rust All product.

Have fun,
Jorge

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
The May/June issue of N Scale Railroading has an article on just this subject. (Most of the ideas would appear to be easily adapted to HO.)

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Here are some of the ones that I've done in N scale. The first one has debris in it (2 pics), the second one has a scratch built machinery load with a parts crate (2 pics) and the last one is a flat with 2 scratch built crates and an unused tie down strap on the deck (2 pics).
gon1.jpg

gon2.jpg

gon3.jpg

gon4.jpg

flat1a.jpg

flat2a.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great work dinging up that gon, Blake. I just haven't worked up the courage to do that myself:eek: . Gives me hives just thinkin' about it:eek: :eek: :eek: . Shudder....

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
Open Loads

The NMRA" Bulletin" , which is of limited use to be sure, spent a great deal of time beginning in around 1995 presenting a thorough selection of common gondola and flat car loads.

If you can attend the next Great Scale Show at Timonium, Md.- coming up now- you will find several people selling them . One gent sells MDC cars and loads he makes at quite reasonable prices.

Many European firms make a variety of excellent gondola loads that appear on their websites that you can buy, or use as prototypes for your own creations. This is a much larger section of the model railroad business than in North America , where their are few producers( like Jaeger, in wrapped lumber- they tend to concentrate in given areas).

M+D produces many steel industry loads, as well as more general loads that include the best sugar beet loads available. They are online and sold in U.S. by Miami Trains, among others.

HEICO (a/k/a Ladeguter Bauer) has large collection of loads on www.

Relatedly, the entire manual, from the US Army for loading materials a/ks in open railroad cars , and securing same, is available on line, as a download, from the U.S. Army at Carlisle Barracks.

An alternative is using containerized loads commonly handled in gons as well as flats. One seen near ports, and not produced domestically, is coil and roll steel containers produced only by Broad Gauge Bodies in 'HO'. They have wwws, but I would recommend going through Lloyd's Model Railways, the large maker/retailer (like Walthers' only Australian) if you do usual "http://www." and put in next "lloydsmodelrail.com.au" that should get you there.

Using GOOGLE, or similar comprehensive search engine, you can find these sites. The URLs are too long to fit on single line in the format used on this site . Another site you might want to look up is the German model railroad manufactures site list. This gives all of them , and indicates their products and scale. It also has some Swiss , and eastern European non- German makers that gives you access to about 20 or so open freight car load making firms with www pps. , (and more without wwws)

Good-Luck, PJB.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
PJB - FYI if you use the "http://" button above, you can name your link whatever you want and the real link won't show. Not aware of a length limit, but a google search fits.

Shaygetz, don't be afraid, go ahead and spank that gondo around!

GONDO5.jpg

GONDO3.jpg

:D :D :D

And yes, as LH stated there have been a bunch of "Removable Eoads" and "Removable Loads" so a search for *oads" should reveal a lot of fresh ideas!