Going Digital in N-gage

Tone

Feb 12, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
(Edit: It's Gauge, obviously, stupuid me ;) )
Hi... all,
As my first post on this forum I have a quite tricky question...
I received as a gift a Roco N 23257 diesel. The problem is that my layout (in the works) is digital. Does anyone have experience in retro-fitting a DCC decoder in this particular engine?
Soldering etc. is not a problem.

So far the only solution that I can think of is machining a slot into the die-cast bottom of the engine to make room for the decoder.

Or if anyone knows of a smaller decoder than ESU-lokpilot v3.

Or I just may have to sell the darn thing and buy a similar engine with the digital stuff as standard...

DB might not be that common around here, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any info.
-Tone

Tone

Feb 12, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
This is turning into a monologue thread, but...

I figured out how to make this happen...
If I loose the original circuit board and make some sort of holders for the lamps, I just might pull this off...
Pictures to follow.

-Tone

Tone

Feb 12, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
Done....

Well, here it is. Not very neat... I think I just may have to shorten those wires. Originally I was going to attach the decoder to the roof of the shell as there was some unused space under the light guides... Simpler this way, but now there is no excuse for the wire mess... Had to dump the idea of making proper mounts for those bulbs, there just was no room. As for the layout... I'm in the early stages of figuring out where to put what. As far as track goes it is going to be a fairly simple double oval. Thanks for looking, -Tone

Attachments

• Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 78
  • SidebySide.jpg
    SidebySide.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 77