GM&O caboose #2831

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
I have had former GM&O caboose #2831 parked in my yard for three yrs. now. (It was built in 1913 and served on the GM&N as #29 before the GM&O acquired it).
In those three yrs. the only thing done was some work restoring the cupola windows and ends. Finally it looks like things are going to get rolling though. The funding to re-roof my caboose has become availible and the materials are here . Now i have no more excuses. It is going to be a daunting task as there are at least four layers of old stuff to remove along with some rotten wood that will need replacing and the entire crew consists of me!

Next stop, Big tarp juction.

The original? tare canvas is there. I think i'll save a square ft. of it for display.

Thanks to the GM&O Historical Society i have a set of interior and exterior line drawings for this caboose. Along with a photogragh taken in 1969 when it was retired. With the interior being gutted before i got it the drawings will be a huge help. As a matter of fact they match the paint "shadows" of what was there perfectly. The original interior paint is still there, as is the stencils.

Wish me luck!

BTW, anybody got a potbellied stove they would like to donate. :D

t.

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
SAVE PAINT CHIPS!!! Twenty years from now somebody is going to be wanting to know what colors were used on the Gummo's cabs! Since you have such a source maybe you could send some to the GM&O Historical Society for preservation.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Billd53A,

It is an interesting paint scheme, Black floors, cream walls, white ceiling. I contacted the historical society after removing the plywood sheething (put on in the forties i believe). to let them know what i found.

On the wall above where the table was are what look like train times, numbers, crew lists and other notations written in pencil. I am going to seal this over and paint around it. there are also some of these in the cupola.

I plan on having the wall paint matched as close as possible.

I also can see very plainly where items were hung on the wall because the motion of the caboose caused them to rub the paint in a half circle pattern. Thats my theory anyways.

t.