Getting started...

Kurgan

Dec 21, 2005
Hi folks,

I recently joined here and have read a lot of the information that I've found posted here. I still have a few questions I'd like to ask, if that is OK.

I had an HO layout many years ago that I sold after I lost my job and didn't have the money to work on it. Now, I have both a job and a much better place to set up so I have decided to start a new one in my basement. I have looked at quite a few layouts and I have narrowed it down to a couple that I like. I am wondering where would be a good place (or places) to buy track and accessories online, could anyone recommend some for me? Also, I have read a bit about Digitrax DCC. Could you list your experiece with itor recommend another route for me to take?

Thanks,

Kurgan

dsfraser

May 13, 2004
Kurgan said:
Hi folks,

I recently joined here and have read a lot of the information that I've found posted here. I still have a few questions I'd like to ask, if that is OK.

I had an HO layout many years ago that I sold after I lost my job and didn't have the money to work on it. Now, I have both a job and a much better place to set up so I have decided to start a new one in my basement. I have looked at quite a few layouts and I have narrowed it down to a couple that I like. I am wondering where would be a good place (or places) to buy track and accessories online, could anyone recommend some for me? Also, I have read a bit about Digitrax DCC. Could you list your experiece with itor recommend another route for me to take?

Thanks,

Kurgan

Firstly, I'd recommend hitting the Yellow Pages and visiting the local hobby shops in your area. Decide which is most knowledgeable about trains, and become a patron. They can answer many questions and guide you in choosine wisely in selecting what cars and locomotives to choose. You can save a few bucks buying online (watch for shipping charges!) but having a good LHS on your side is a priceless resource.

As for track, Atlas Flextrak (Code 100 or Code 83) seems to be pretty much standard in North America.

I use the Digitrax Zephyr DCC set. It is affordable and expandable, and Digitrax seems to be quite a bit more popular than other systems.

I would also suggest getting a copy of John Armstrong's book "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" (Kalmbach). It is well worth reading before you settle on a trackplan and start laying track.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

Kurgan

Dec 21, 2005
Thanks for the thoughts. I plan to get the track online since it would be hard for a catalog company to mess it up. However, I am going to check out a local hobby shop for the train components and DCC system. The layout I plan to use is in an Atlas book I bought, but I wont be starting for a few weeks at least since I need to get the area in my basement ready for the layout to set up and stay.

Again, thanks for the help.