Getting started...

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Kurgan, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Kurgan

Kurgan New Member

Hi folks,

I recently joined here and have read a lot of the information that I've found posted here. I still have a few questions I'd like to ask, if that is OK.

I had an HO layout many years ago that I sold after I lost my job and didn't have the money to work on it. Now, I have both a job and a much better place to set up so I have decided to start a new one in my basement. I have looked at quite a few layouts and I have narrowed it down to a couple that I like. I am wondering where would be a good place (or places) to buy track and accessories online, could anyone recommend some for me? Also, I have read a bit about Digitrax DCC. Could you list your experiece with itor recommend another route for me to take?

Thanks,

Kurgan
  2. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: i'm a DC man myself so cant help you on the DCC stuff have used one on line shop seems ok its HObbies usa.
  3. dsfraser

dsfraser Member

Firstly, I'd recommend hitting the Yellow Pages and visiting the local hobby shops in your area. Decide which is most knowledgeable about trains, and become a patron. They can answer many questions and guide you in choosine wisely in selecting what cars and locomotives to choose. You can save a few bucks buying online (watch for shipping charges!) but having a good LHS on your side is a priceless resource.

As for track, Atlas Flextrak (Code 100 or Code 83) seems to be pretty much standard in North America.

I use the Digitrax Zephyr DCC set. It is affordable and expandable, and Digitrax seems to be quite a bit more popular than other systems.

I would also suggest getting a copy of John Armstrong's book "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" (Kalmbach). It is well worth reading before you settle on a trackplan and start laying track.

Cheers
    Scott Fraser
    Calgary, Alberta
  4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Kurgan, :wave:

http://www.trainworld.com/atlas/atlas_HO_track.htm

is where I have bought track (HO Code 83).

Your local hobby shop may carry the inexpensive Atlas
    books on layouts and wiring, etc. I think they're the
    best place to start reading, they are quite basic but
    have lots of info.
  5. Kurgan

Kurgan New Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I plan to get the track online since it would be hard for a catalog company to mess it up. However, I am going to check out a local hobby shop for the train components and DCC system. The layout I plan to use is in an Atlas book I bought, but I wont be starting for a few weeks at least since I need to get the area in my basement ready for the layout to set up and stay.

Again, thanks for the help.