German Fire Engine HLF 16/12 Feuerwehr Bremen

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Some close-ups of the roof elements. The chimney belongs to the main building but I assume that the metal roof is from another building behind the stall. It's hard to tell from the reference images but I add them.

DSCF1907.jpg

DSCF1910.jpg

The brigade logo:

DSCF1911.jpg

Lamiated to card and added a spacer:

DSCF1912.jpg

Please note the gully lid. I was looking for a matching image but found none. Then I saw that there is the same model of lid in front of my work, so I took a picture of it and put it onto the model. :)

DSCF1913.jpg

The vehicle is supposed to be mounted on the diorama in a similar fashion like the Aston Martin:

DSCF1914.jpg

I temporarily added a spacer between the mounts to see where the incisions in the floor have to be made.

DSCF1915.jpg

The mounts were pushed through the holes and glued to the back of the floor:

DSCF1917.jpg

And everything installed:

DSCF1922.jpg

I added the green carpet. Looking at the dio I thought there was something missing and added a red frame. That finished it up nicely! :) Now I'm tackling the final elements, the gutters and flood lights. Stay tuned! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The engine got some enhancements:

DSCF1969.jpg

First a set of horns.

DSCF1970.jpg

Then the side showcasing the open compartments received two additions:

DSCF7194.jpg

DSCF7195.jpg

DSCF7196.jpg

They are simply glued onto the hull:

DSCF1967.jpg

DSCF1968.jpg

The mirrors were added:

DSCF1971.jpg

DSCF1973.jpg

And some leftover parts from the Halloween coffins were used to close the gaps on the bottom:

DSCF1975.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I have an idea for your next model, for when you have to fight fire with fire! Fahrenheit 451 Firetruck!!
View attachment 209002
I tried to find a model of the fire engines which were used by the brigade but there was none. I already gathered the info necessary to make them but didn't want to spend too much time for the project to finish it while our tenant was still alive. So I chose Volker's kit because it is one of the most elegant and attractive alternatives available. Nevertheless during my search and research I found a gorgeous vintage style fire fighter set with two engines, an extended ladder and a building. These engines look very much like the Fahrenheit vehicle. I'll show you some pictures later. :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hello fans, we are on the home stretch now! :)

You may remember that I had to cut the back of the diorama frame open to apply pressure to the notches and pins of the two parts. The time has come to close this gap again.

DSCF2368.jpg

I glued the edge back together and laminated another layer of card to the bottom and around the edge to make sure that no-one will ever notice the surgery.

DSCF2370.jpg

The final deco elements were printed, assembled and attached:

DSCF2212.jpg

DSCF2213.jpg

DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2365.jpg

A not so usual sight:

DSCF2371.jpg

To determine the position of the brigade plaques I "drew" a straight line from the top left corner of the parking lot area to the bottom right corner using a leftover cardboard strip and a ruler. The right badge on the front determined the horizontal position.

DSCF2380.jpg

DSCF2382.jpg

The angle of the badge followed the angle of the diagonal line. The left side was treated the same way, but everything was mirrored of course. The final result looks like this:

DSCF2383.jpg

DSCF2384.jpg

DSCF2385.jpg

The ladder mount and the ladders were attached to the roof of the fire truck:

DSCF2387.jpg

DSCF2386.jpg

DSCF2388.jpg

And everything together:

DSCF2389.jpg

DSCF2391.jpg

:)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Time to wrap thing up! :)

The model finally got a dedication plaque on the back. I put it in the bottom-right corner where it lives happily and nicely:

DSCF2786.jpg

It says:

"This diorama is dedicated to fireman Mr. X (1938 - 2020) and his comrades of the fire fighting division of the town of Ottenstein.
May all of you master all challenges and safely return from each mission."

I am now writing up some instructions on how to handle the model (don't touch it with wet hands, keep it away from direct sunlight) and how to put the truck on the mounting points. Remember, there are two ways to display it:

DSCF2801.jpg

DSCF2802.jpg

The most secure way to hold the truck is to grab it on the compartment roof like this:

DSCF2787.jpg

DSCF2788.jpg

It is possible to pick it up on other areas but this is the most stable way. Due to the double-lamination the roof is as strong as a brick.

DSCF2803.jpg

The mount is easily identified and keeps everything in place securely - and becomes almost invisible:

DSCF2804.jpg

DSCF2805.jpg

:)