Front wheels for steam loco

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
I have question. Can you buy the front wheels for a 0-6-0 steamer? I beleive it's called the " drive wheels"? I guess I'd like 0-6-0 into a 2-6-0. Is this possible?
Thanks Scoobie

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You cannot necessaruly add the "pilot truck" to a 0-6-0. Although the prototype often rebuilt engines, it is not always that easy to do. It depends on the manufacturer of your 0-6-0.

The drive wheels are indicated by the second number in the description - 0-6-0 has 0 pilot wheels, 6 drivers (three on each side) and no trailing wheels (under the firebox).

There are a couple of guys here at The Gauge that are really talented with loco modification - post a bit more info about what you want to do, and what you are working with, and I am sure you can get some more help.

Andrew

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
Thanks Andrew, you are so heplful. What I was thinking of doing is - my son got a Bachamnn 0-6-0. I'd like to add some " pilot wheels " to the front. Is this a big deal or is it as simple as buy and putting them on. It looks like there might be a mounting screw on the bottom of the loco.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Like Andrew says, it's going to depend on your loco. You might be well off looking around for some scrap locos at a swap meet or even a train shop. Or even look as other locos and see how the pilot trucks are mounted and see if you can adapt yours. There's a good possiblity that if you do add a pilot truck, it's going to stick out too far in front, or interfer with your drive wheels.

I'll bet if you were able to post a few pictures or a more detail description of what loco you have and who made it, someone here can be more help to you than we can.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I don't know the specifics of that engine, but many manufacturers use(d) the same frame for X-drivered locos - i.e. same frame for 0-6-0, 2-6-0, and 2-6-2 for example. So if it looks as if there is a mounting hole, it may in fact be that simple.

I would contact Bachmann directly, or go the their website and try the "Ask The Bach-Man" forum. They should be able to supply parts. If not, there are a few manufacturers that offer "aftermarket" details like the pilot truck.

You will have to check the clearance and so on, and possibly change some of the front end details. Take a look (search) for projects by member Ray Marinaccio - he is a wiz with engine rebuilding/modification.

Andrew

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
Thanks again Andrew, it sure looks like the Bachmann 0-6-0 & 2-6-0 are the frame. I will contact Bachmann. Do you think Kadee would have pilot wheels? To be honest, the more I get into this train hobby the more I'm shying away from Bachmann, the quality doesn't seem a good as others. That's my opinion and I'm no expert.
Thanks again,Scott

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Years ago Kadee and Microtrains use to have conversion sets for some locomotives. I changed an Atlas 0-8-0 to a Consolidation 2-8-0 with one of their "pilot conversion kits". You might check out the Kadee website to see if they still make the conversion kits. Other manufacturers may also do them, but since I am in "N" I don't know much about the HO products available.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
At the risk of opening up the debate yet again, I would offer that my experience with Bachmann has been pretty good. My original train set was Bachmann, and a few years ago, I took it out of more than 20 years of storage, put the loco on the track, and away it went. This particular loco is a heavy, full metal frame with a decent motor. Is capable of pulling almost every car I own...!

My second Bachmann experience was with the "toy" quality set that most people associate with Bachmann. I bought an engine with one of those cheapy "pancake" motors - rear wheel drive only, pickups on 4 wheels only. But that is what I wanted, as I sliced of the back of the chassis to kitbash a Galloping Goose. So no disappointment there, as I knew what I was getting.

My recent Bachmann experience is with the Spectrum Line. I have a Ten-Wheeler that I am very happy with. Performs well, and the details are great. Took a bit of tweaking to get it going (including decoder installation, some re-affixing of details, and shortening of wires between loco and tender which snagged on point rails).

However, "your milage may vary" as they say... ;)

To answer your question... I do not know if Kadee has an appropriate part. "Miniatures by Eric" might have something suitable if Bachmann doesn't come through.

Andrew

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
I agree with you Andrew. The track on our layout is Bachmann EZ track & we have now 3 Bachmann engines. This all got started when Granpa bought my 7 old son a Bachmann set last christmas. Now we ( he ) has 4x8 layout in his bedroom. We love it and are almost finish with layout. I guess I was venting on my last post as I'm having problems with one of the switches sticking. So, next time I'll be more specific and not attack the whole Bachmann line of goods. Didn't mean to affend anyone!!!!!!
As always thanks for help!! I send you a picture whenn we're done.
Thanks

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Bowser has lots of steam engine parts, including the old Cary line, Bowser, Varney, and Penn Line. Precision Scale - which took over Kemtron - also makes pilot wheels. NWSL is another good source for after-market pieces, including pilot wheels.

Hope this helps

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If your 0-6-0 is a Bachmann, and if they also make the 2-6-0, then contact Bachmann for the necessary parts. You can check on their website, but you'll get better results with a 'phone call.
For Parts or Service in North America:

1-800-356-3910 - Press 1 for Parts, or go to either extension 11 or 17

Wayne

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
I know Precision Scale made a pilot truck with spoked wheels. I got a handful of them when I was rebuilding my Mantua 2-6-6-2.
Not sure how available they are now...they were scarce when I got mine.

I will try to find a pic of it.