Front coupler addition?

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
Does any one think it is possible to modify one of these to have a front coupler.
BAC11753-250.jpg

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
are you talking about the hole that is right above of where the tender connects to the engine with that little screw? Thats where the drive from the tender spins into the engine to activate the gears. When the engine is moving, that little piece of plastic spins because the motor is inside the tender, thus transfering power to the gears that are above the wheels. I hope i am making sense hehe

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
That was weird, it didn't post / froze up. I am sure it will show up tommorow that makes total sense. I had no idea the motor was inside the tender. How many cars can it ull? I was sceptical before put now I am kinda doubtful. It has to have some traction problems

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
It pulls 3-5 cars well enough and certainly in the range of the prototype. One way to put a coupler up front would be to switch the pilot to a beam type like on a larger steam switcher, like an 0-4-0 or an 0-8-0. That too, is in the realm of realism as many of these were rebuilt into switchers in their later years.

The couplers these had back in the day were link and pin types. The pilot on these would have an especially long link that usually stayed with the locomotive. Modeling link and pin tries the best of men in HO, I couldn't imagine doing it in N.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
Thanks serious sam and shaygetz. I think I will go ahead and get one to start with. It sounds like it will pull my passenger cars. If I can modify the front when I get one I will post and update. The reason being for this, by the way, is I saw a picture from the 1880s with three of those pulling several cars. One loco was in front, one middel, one at the end. I wanted to try to replicate that.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
That would look pretty sick. These little engines look cool by themselves. imagine a set of three hooked up and pulling a train. Good luck with your project and let us know how its going.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
I went ahead and got one of these 4-4-0s, it was the only in stock at my LHS. I am sure I can remove the cow catcher and add a draft box and coupler. I also want to convert the rear coupler to a knuckel coupler but I am clueless there. I took it apart(highly highly recomend that you do not do this, little springs are impossible to work with), and I have not seen any repacement couplers that will work. The only other problem I had was the rear truck on the tender had glue ,that was not supposed to be there, on it resulting in the truck being stuck in a tilted forward position. It was a minute fix but it took hours to get it back together. The truck has many small parts including two small springs that conduct the power that had to go back together. Due to it's size it's parts are all put together and deigned differently.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
micro trains has a coupler converstion for the tender. im not sure which one it is. i'll look it up later. But for this one, i think i'll stick with rapidos. It actually looks really cool pulling three Penn. passenger cars.