From weeds to trees

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Uh, humm... no I didn't get permission Shamus:eek: But I didn't see that no tresspassing sign laying face down in the weeds either :D

jon, I'll email ya' the procedure, It's really not that explosive but in the wrong hands (little) it could be.

btw where is Cobblers Knob.

ps. I had to PM ya' as it wouldn't let me email.

t.

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Hey, I remember something like this. I was driving a truck from New Jersey to Miami, see, and I got real tired. Next thing I knew, these things were all over the windshield. Did you say they grow to three or four feet? That's funny, what were they doing hanging over the interstate so's I could get them stuck in the wipers?...;) :D

Tom F

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
To All:eek: :eek: :eek:

I made a BIG ERROR on the plant identification. My daughter-in-law's flower is a Blue "Sedum" (as in "See, dummy, I'm a flower, not a grass) not a Sedge. Sedges are grasses that grow in wet, marshy places. Sedum grows in a nice flower garden :eek: :eek: :D :

So I apologize for sending you off on a wild grass chase. :) :)

You know, if DEA watches this thread they are going to be all over us with the "weed" and "grass" we have been dealing here.

:) :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi David, Not a problem with me. I've seen that at the garden center in the springtime. If I can remember that long:eek: I'll pick up some next spring!!!

Yep!!! We may be in "deep do-do":D :D :D We were discussing "smoke" and "pipes" on some other threads:eek:

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Originally posted by davidstrains
To All:eek: :eek: :eek:

I made a BIG ERROR on the plant identification....
:) :)

Thank God you clarified this statement. If you had said something like "the stuff I posted the pictures of is really poison Oak," I'd have been ever so worried...:eek: ;) :D

"So, (scratch, scratch), you cut the stems (scratch, scratch), and remove the seeds (scratch, scratch), then you trim to scale (scratch, scratch), add some glue (scratch, scratch), and dust on ground foam (scratch, scratch, scratch...)

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by 60103
David in Virginny:
I think Sedum is a category, about as loose as Tree. Can you get it any finer?

The only identification it had was the plastic lable that was in the flower container saying it was a "Blue Sedum". I saw them identified that way at several nurserys and flower shops when we were looking for fall flowers.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by t. alexander
Uh, humm... no I didn't get permission Shamus:eek: But I didn't see that no tresspassing sign laying face down in the weeds either :D

jon, I'll email ya' the procedure, It's really not that explosive but in the wrong hands (little) it could be.

btw where is Cobblers Knob.

ps. I had to PM ya' as it wouldn't let me email.

t.

You're right about not sharing the last step with yunguns. I burned my hair off!:eek: :eek: :eek: I got it, but missed this post, thanks. I'll have to check my settings on the e-mail gig.

Cobblers Knob, as I recall, is on the zig-zag just S. of Wallace, IN (p[op. 88) on hwgy 41 (341) in Fountain Co., IN. There's only 3 or 4 buildings there, on a horsyshoe curve, and it's not on even a county map. More importantly, it's on my "layout to be". It will certainly be larger in scale area/bldgs/people than the real Cobblers Knob, and it might even be larger in real area!

:D :D :D

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hey jon, WOW! My wife and I lived in "downtown" Wallace for awhile. Never heard of Cobblers Knob. That shows how much I got out:D

Wallace was a strange place. From what I gathered by one of the locals it had a sorted past. I was told It used to be called "Jackville" or "Jacktown". There is a book written about it, and was also featured in an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries.

I thought the place was interesting. I loved walking cross the street to the general store for early morning coffee. I heard the old store changed hands and has become a pretty popular spot to eat now.

Going west out of town, our street turned to gravel and where that road met Hy41 there used to be Morgan coal mine. I spent alot of time poking around out there.

A couple of the more colorful character's I remember was the fella who couldn't get a drivers license so he rode to town on a tractor and ate lard sandwiches. Then there was "IronWeed" He lived in a bent trailer just out of town and used a hollow stump for a privy. Or at least I think he was. I saw him sitting on it with his drawers down to his knees anyway :D :eek:

Usually watching "Tripod" the three legged dog cross the street (heading for the general store) or the occasional Amish buggy wobbling through there wasn't much happening and That was fine by me.

t.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by t. alexander
Hey jon, WOW! My wife and I lived in "downtown" Wallace for awhile. Never heard of Cobblers Knob. That shows how much I got out:D

***purdy increadable, what a trip, guess that's why the pop. dropped down from 90***

A couple of the more colorful character's I remember was the fella who couldn't get a drivers license so he rode to town on a tractor and ate lard sandwiches. Then there was "IronWeed" He lived in a bent trailer just out of town and used a hollow stump for a privy. Or at least I think he was. I saw him sitting on it with his drawers down to his knees anyway :D :eek:

***doesn't everyone do that? We had lard sammys fer dinner! Boy, all that grease'll make you poop in a stump, or where ever***

Usually watching "Tripod" the three legged dog cross the street (heading for the general store) or the occasional Amish buggy wobbling through there wasn't much happening and That was fine by me.

***guess ole tripod was a lady dawg, huh?***

I was guessing on the exact location. You remember where 41 gets real curvy and hilly like you're not in IN? That's where it is. It's between 74 and the state parks. The map looks real curvy below Wallace.

Hey, looky there, is it tripod? Looks like tripod is missin more legs

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
David:
When i was in Blacksburg, Va, going to school, we used to go for bike rides in the country side and collect what we called "Queen Ann's Lace" to use a trees on our architectural models. Looked a lot like your Sedum, and grew everywhere along the roads.

Flowers were white, plants were 2-5 feet tall. Dried to a nice medium to dark brown. Free was good then, and better now.

Regards,
Ted

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Method A: Scour the countryside looking for blue sledge or whatever. If it's not blue sledge, forget it.

Method B: Wander around and notice a weed and say "That'll make a good tree!". Put it a bag, take it home, and don't worry about what it is.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
I like BillK's idea. We were just up in the Lancaster, PA area. I saw some "good looking Weeds" and pulled off the highway (US 30) and proceded to "harvest" an bag full. Got a lot of strange looks. but, hey, it was for a good cause:D :D :D

This method also breaks up road monotony and gets you out of the car for a fresh air break.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
I have used Queen Anne lace in the past. It made good ground cover for me with the addition of some Woodland Scenic foam .

I also found a low grass weed that has small blooms. You can see it along the creek in the first pic on my post " Adding some trees" in the photo forum. I'm always on the lookout for potetial trees and shrubs. This is the best time of year to search for it in these parts.

t.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hey jon I think I know where your at. My wife being a to the core southern girl almost could connect around Shades and Turkey Run:D
I myself liked it all and as I told her, the whole darn state is like being on top of a mountain. You can see for miles, Except when the corn gets to high :)

t.