For those interested in sound on the cheap....

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
MRC makes a 60 dollar sound decoder in both steam and diesel sounds.

I have not used the steam decoder as of yet but I have installed three of the diesel decoders and the sounds are not all that bad. However I do dislike the engine sound itself, it is just a bit too tinny for my tastes but the horns and bell sounds are fairly well done and it does add a lot to my layout for the price.

For anyone whois running DCC on a tight budget thses decoders are not all that bad of a deal. They work well and are relatively easy to install.

In fact my LHS owner just had me install two of them in a pair of locos he couldn't get them to fit into and he gave me over 100 dollars of stuff for free for doing it for him. :thumb:

SKMoss

Jun 24, 2004
Chessie,

How big are they? I'm trying to fit an NScale 2-8-0 Consolidation. So far about all i've seen that fits is the SoundTrax.

Steve

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
They are slightly larger than the standard Digitrax decoders and have what looks to be a 3/4 inch speaker.

Unfortunately I dont think they will work for N Scale unless you rig them in a boxcqar or something behind the loco.

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Chessie1973 where can I find more information about them? Where can I get them? I checked their web site and couldn't find anything about them. Do they work with Digitrax?

Thanks, Freelancer

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Any Place that sells MRC DCC stuff should carry them. In Fact MRC actually has a new version out of these decoders that is supposed to sound better than the ones I have.

As for working with Digitrax. Yes, I use a Digitrax Zephyr system with them with no problems at all.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
The thing to remember about these cheap decoders is that they are very basic ones. None of the fancy effects like transitioning and what not like the high end ones.

I use mine for the horns and bells mostly as I find the engine sound to be terrible for my engines. It has an idle, acceleration and "high gear" sound and that is it.

The new versions are supposed to have better quality sounds on them however but they are still basic decoders.

But for people wanting sound for less, they are a good solution.

I am looking to try out one of the Soundtraxx 99 dollar sound only decoders in my Atlas Master Locomotive as an add on if I can squeeze it into the shell to get an idea of the sound quality differnces first hand. but that will be a long way down the rails from now ..

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Chessie, that is no problem for me, all I have right now are the cheaper decoders, run the engine, and turn the lights on or off that is all they do. I am starting in DCC and burning up a $20 decoder is a lot for me, I cannot imagine letting the smoke out of a much more expensive one. I am just trying to get used to wiring and programming these so I have been putting them into cheaper locomotives. Hmm... wait, that is the only kind I have. LOL I hear the guys at the LHS lauging at people who put $20 decoders in a $15 engine, I just have to keep my head low and go about my business. I am waiting until I get used to it, then I will start getting better decoders for my better engines.

CN1 Thanks for the link to MRC, that is why I couldn't find any info on them is because I was at the wrong site. :eek:ops: With these newer ones coming out I wonder if I wait a little longer if the older ones will be cheaper. Hmmm...

Thanks for the update guys, and now that I have the right link I can investigate more.

Freelancer

CN1

May 6, 2003
I hear the guys at the LHS lauging at people who put $20 decoders in a $15 engine, I just have to keep my head low and go about my business.

Whaaaat? :confused: :mad: :curse: Forget about them, go ahead and do what you have to do. :thumb:

I am waiting until I get used to it, then I will start getting better decoders for my better engines.

Good idea. That way if you make any mistakes it won't cost you a fortune :D

I wonder if I wait a little longer if the older ones will be cheaper. Hmmm...

I would expect them to. Who knows, right? :confused:

I get NCE Silent Running Decoders for $27.99 so I have to be carefull too. It gets pretty costly after a while :eek: