foam insulation

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I was wondering if any one here has used the inulation in a can?

I know that Lionel Strang used it on one of his lay-outs in MR but was wondering if anyone here had any hands on experiance with the stuff,I use it alot for work but never on a lay-out.

wsdimenna

Mar 30, 2002
Western NY USA
www.layoutdepot.com
I assume you are talking about "Great Stuff". It comes in two versions. Miminal expansion and Max. Its in a red can and is manufactured by Dow. In WNY, USA it is sold at Valu home centers and home depot.

I have used it for binding mountains together and adhering O gauge track to foam. Also used it too make rounded boulders.
Also have used to assist in building transitions for inclines

Others have used it as a stand alone for mountains, but that gets rather expensive for 1/48.

bill d
www.layoutdepot.com

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I bought a can once for non railroad purpose and wound up using some to drop my roadbed from 1/2" homasote to 1/4" cork for an industrial siding. The section of track from the turnout on the main to the siding was curved, I cut a piece of plywood to the proper curve, put waxed paper on its bottom, applied the expandable foam and placed the plywood over it with weights on top. After letting it set, I removed the wood, cleaned up the edges and had a surface which served as a ramp I could lay my ties on. The transistion is about 18" long, very gradual and even, and was easier than rasping or sanding.

Gary

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Gary - That's the best use of the stuff I've heard of yet! Do you think one could do something similar using the molds for rock castings?

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bill, I would imagine that would be no problem, you would need perhaps to experiment with mold release, that is, which method would give best results, water with detergent, silicone spray, etc. Once that problem is solved, apply foam to mold and flip over onto flat surface, maybe tape it down till set. About 25 years ago I used "Mountains in Minutes", perhaps still available, a 2 part liquid which when combined expanded to something like 20 times its volume and resulted in a smooth skinned foam. As I recall, it could be used for molds as you asked about. I didn't use it that way, I was building a module to house a Campbell bridge I had built(just to see if I could). I had laid out the stream bed and wanted to use the foam for the banks and surrounding land. I underestimated the expansion and had to work frantically to pull the expanding foam back from the bank area. When you do this, the foam is pretty sticky, and starting to set up, so you get some interesting land forms! Mostly it worked out fine, those areas which looked unnatural I simply carved, when you do so you can forget about that smooth skin, underneath the air bubbles are significant. I carved a large area flat, filled the holes with spackle and after painting had a large flat shale type rock as seen along the Delaware river. Sometimes having no time to think can result in an effect you wouldn't have otherwise thought of. Then again, sometimes it doesn't!

Gary

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I usaly us great suff but the stuff I used was shipped to the job and I ended up with two extra cans.The stuff I used is made by DAP and is like a latex. Didn't turn out to good its been 24 hours and its still jiggleing insde.

Think I'll scrap it up and try again with the Great Stuff. I know that doesnt take long to set up. I'll Probrobly buil;d it up with some extruded foam first.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Sumpter, Yes the Delaware is gorgeous and the section I'm more familiar with is north of Port Jervis, where I try to go canoeing once a year. Real familiar with the rocks! No, I am not modeling that area. That was just a module I built which unfortunately was destroyed when someone bumped into it and it fell to the floor after performing a 180 degree tun enroute. The nice Campbell thru truss was history. I have slides of it but have no idea how to get them posted. For that matter, I'm lucky to be able to post to the forum at all, not too much on computers. My wife was given a second hand digital camera recently and my son is coming to dinner tonight, might just see if I can learn to get the shots into my computer, then I could at least e mail them. One step at a time I suppose. I model NYC along the Hudson now, but have not built any scenery yet. Well, one partially finished scene I will see if I can shoot it tonight. Could I email it to you?

Gary

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
The Insulation in a can that I used is turning out to be more like foam rubber, Haven't had the chance to do any work on the lay-out lately, So I will wait and see what happens. It's been 48 hours and is finaly starting to "solid" up in the center.

If it will hold trees up then I'll keep it as is,But I wont be using this in the future.