Flexing soundboard

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Soundboard - I think I have the right word for the stuff. It's brown and usually used as edging for layouts. I've seen people curve it around corners and know that it comes in different thicknesses. Which thickness do you use to curve around corners and how tight a radius can you curve it?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I use Masonite, a brand of hardboard, in the 1/8" thickness, for the layout facia and for coved corners on the backdrop. If you're using the room wall as your backdrop, an easy way to cove the corners is to use 1/2" drywall on the walls, installed vertically, but at the corners (the last 14" - 16" stud spacing), use 3/8" drywall. Curve your tape measure around the inside corner, fron the edge of the 1/2" drywall on one wall to that on the adjoining wall. From a sheet of 1/8" Masonite, cut a piece to the required measurement, and of a suitable height. Hold one edge against one of the edges of the 1/2" drywall, then push the centre of the Masonite towards the corner until the other edge slips past the 1/2" drywall on the other wall. While the thicker drywall will hold it in place, use drywall screws, countersunk and installed near the edges of the Masonite, then tape and apply drywall mud as if you were doing a wall. Mine have been up for over 15 years, with no cracking. You can also do outside corners this way, although you may have to let it bulge out a bit to get a smooth curve.

Here's an inside corner.The gap between the upper and lower backdrops is to allow for future installation of a second level of layout. The radius of the curve is about 12"
100_5692.jpg

Here's an outside corner, near the top of the picture, with an inside corner in the background, to the left of the wood framing.
TrainBrain109.jpg

This view of another inside corner shows how about 5" of the Masonite on the right end is flat against the 3/8" drywall behind it. The opposite side of the curve, hidden behind the structure, extends two stud spacings from the corner, with the entire 16" on the left edge flat against the 3/8" drywall. (I needed to leave the first space accessible, as I'll need to run wire for more layout lighting when that second level gets built.
100_5543.jpg

This view shows the same material used as layout facia. The radius of the curve in the facia is about 12".
100_5755.jpg

Finally, here's a turntable pit wall made from the same stuff. The radius is 5 1/4".
100_5381.jpg

Wayne

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Masonite! Yes, that's the stuff I was thinking of and called it by the wrong word. Thank you. 1/8" eh? I had no idea it would curve as tight as you have shown on that turn table. I've got an awkward inside corner that I need a pretty tight curve to fix it and that should do the trick. Thank you for the in depth explanation and the exemplary photos.