First Train on the Hillside

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Since I finished the turf on the Hillside it was time to run a train. I cleaned the glue off the rails and set the signals to green. First up a good old anthracite coal drag.

LNE_Hillside_003a.jpg

LNE_Hillside_005a.jpg

LNE_Hillside_006a.jpg

LNE_Hillside_007a.jpg

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
It must have just rained as the rocks are still glistening from the precipitation!
Technical question - Did you start and stop your train for each picture or did you set it on real slow and just snap 'em off as it traveled past?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks!

TrainNut said:
Technical question - Did you start and stop your train for each picture or did you set it on real slow and just snap 'em off as it traveled past?

I moved the train by hand. Before and after the photo session, however, the train was running under its own power.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NICE roll by Tom!:thumb: :thumb: i like the new location:thumb:. the rocks DO look like it had just rained there;). GREAT JOB!:D -Deano

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
That looks great! Love that diesels power. Did you airbrush weather the coal cars? They look really well done. The coal loads look real - almost the same but with just enough variation. Did you make the loads too?

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Tom, that is really nice. You and DoctorWayne take some very nice photos and I really enjoy seeing y'all's layouts. What impresses me most is the selection of colors for the scenery and buildings. Very realistic.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Great run-by, Tom, :thumb: :thumb: and a neat new location for it, too! And of course it's always nice to see those L&NE FA's. :thumb: :)
My future L&NE car is almost ready for painting, too. I'll post a picture when it's done.
Tom, your method for doing run-bys is the same as mine: just pull 'em along by hand, although I did use the diesels to move my 71 car train: didn't want to over-tax myself. :D :D
I shot some pictures of a coal train passing a crossing, on my layout, just as it was starting to get moving. I continued to shoot individual cars, then eventually shot as the train was moving, blurring the cars and giving (I hope) the impression that the train was picking up speed. Believe me, it doesn't have to be moving fast at all for this effect!! I'm not sure that I'll post the pictures though, as they were meant to tell the story of one coal train moving over the division, and there are about 125 pictures (although not all are useable) of the move. The train in your thread is about the right length. :thumb:

Wayne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Just what we'd expect from Tom...Great trains in a great setting...!!! Congrats on the progress on the layout...!!! Just don't forget where you started all this (or where I first saw your trains)...The ol' water tower...!!!!:thumb:

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
yellowlynn said:
Hey Tom, I was wondering, how much coal does that red, box y car on the end haul? Sure must be hard to load and unload. :D :D :D :D

Lynn

My money's on enough for a small stove and any bad children of the flagman & conductor!