first mini scene

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I'm posting this a little before it's completely finished but I like the look so much I wanted some input before I went any further! I would love some "constructive critisism and don't be afraid to hurt my feelings as I want to get it right from the start. Please be specific so I can understand and determine if it is something I want to add or not. Thanks for looking,Pat

Attachments

• pict0051.jpg
    pict0051.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 187

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Belg, The structures look great and the detailing is very nice, the only thing I see that needs doing is to paint the rails. They really pop out and distract the eye. Nice work.

Gary

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
The whole scene is great Belg.
You say it's not finished yet so I guess you'll be fitting chimneys to the buildings. I suggest the advertisements on the fence could do with a bit of weathering, but heck, that's just being picky.
The scene is terrific just the way it is. Well done.
Oh, ain't you got a steamer instead of a diesel? ... :) :) :)

Errol

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Very good job. The structures look great.

A few things you might want to consider adding could be an old car or pick up truck, a few chairs on the porch, a couple of lazy dogs laying around or even a dog house.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by kettlestack
The whole scene is great Belg.
You say it's not finished yet so I guess you'll be fitting chimneys to the buildings. I suggest the advertisements on the fence could do with a bit of weathering, but heck, that's just being picky.
The scene is terrific just the way it is. Well done.
Oh, ain't you got a steamer instead of a diesel? ... :) :) :)

Errol

Might I suggest a "stove pipe" instead of chimneys? That general store just looks like a place for a "pot bellied stove." The shed doesn't need anything.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words guys I would like to say that the suggestions were just about what I expected. The rails and ballast will probably be one of the projects i'm not sure if it will ever get done but the truck and the weathering were on my list, believe it or not there is actually already a stove pipe coming out of the Hardware/welding shop it just doesn't show in the photo. I also plan on putting in some overgrowth and pipe storage rack.
And yes there are quite a few steamers in the inventory but I'm reserving those for when I have everything cleaned.And what about the LPB's nobody is looking out for them but they will also be installed.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Great work!

Any scene can always use more junk scattered about. Not that your scene is lacking, but you can always add more. I guess you could overdo it eventually, but on a layout it would take a lifetime. Adding junk to a finished layout or scene keeps the modeling aspect alive and brings the model to life.

I always thought if only I could have Shamus's junk box, I could model anything :D :D :D

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
The cab of a rusted out 1920's Pickup, with stuff piled where a bed
used to be. Then maybe some kids in it playing like it's a fort.
Hmmm... Better yet a ,very broken down, remains of a
covered wagon... With stuff piled up in it.
...and that undergrowth you spoke of.
Yup! That do it.;)

Looks fine other wise.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very nice indeed Belg, just add some people - stove-pipes and weather/paint the track and it will be excellent work.

Shamus

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Good looking scene! I'm with the advocates of track painting and stove type adding. Other than that you're set! Nice work weathering the wood and I really like the signs on the fence.
Ralph

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by belg
Thanks for the kind words guys I would like to say that the suggestions were just about what I expected. The rails and ballast will probably be one of the projects i'm not sure if it will ever get done but the truck and the weathering were on my list, believe it or not there is actually already a stove pipe coming out of the Hardware/welding shop it just doesn't show in the photo. I also plan on putting in some overgrowth and pipe storage rack.
And yes there are quite a few steamers in the inventory but I'm reserving those for when I have everything cleaned.And what about the LPB's nobody is looking out for them but they will also be installed.

After reading your post, I went back and looked and I did see that stove pipe hiding in the shadows on the back side of the roof.