First Layout

Taylor

Dec 24, 2005
Finally making *some* progress on what I consider my first layout (had some older, smaller ones...this one is planned to be the most realistic yet).

I'm working on different sections of the layout and do not have an overall picture just yet.
Just to let everyone know, I'm sure I do things a lot differently than some folks here and my methods will probably look strange. A lot of this is trial/error for me. I am a police officer and my trains are my way of relieving stress...and most of the stress release comes from building. I have no problem building something and then realizing it wasn't quite what I had in mind and then starting that portion over again (as long as I'm re-using what I did and not throwing money into the trash).

First, the tabletop (picked up great table at Value City Furniture in the scratch and dent). I had to put plywood on top of the table and cut it into 3rds. I live in an apartment and this would be the only way to move it when the time comes. From scratch:

mount009.gif

Next, building a steep incline (was first going to be for track and the trains worked on it, but a tad too steep for my liking)
mount002.gif

Next, a few ceiling tiles:
mount011.gif

mount007.gif

I then ran into the problem of stacking just a tad too high and was not quite satisfied. Instead of tearing it down completely, it will end up elsewhere on the layout.

Now, for my next section:

Using 2" foam over the plywood. This is mainly so I could carve some scenery, such as creek/river beds, etc.

risers6.gif

risers5.gif

In the above picture, you can see the celluclay being put to good use. I love that stuff..just watch it on wood as it can cause some serious warping.

risers4.gif

risers2.gif

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I think you're doing a good job. Looks like you've put a lot of thought into your building. I'm not sure what your division head's going to say about all those little bits of white foam clinging to your uniform though.

Keep up the good work,:thumb:

Allan

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Movin' right along! Even though you aren't completely happy with your ceiling tile rocks I think they will look very good wherever you locate them.
Ralph