Finally started laying track on the NSR

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Well, after waiting for dry enough weather to put the primer on the board, I have finally started working on the New Southern Layout I posted here last night. Working mornings does have the advantage of when I'm off and at home, I don't have my 5 year old trying to "help" me out!.

Here is a picture. Pardon the mess. I get messy when I'm working on a project. BTW, the maroon car is my first N Gauge car I've ever painted, and I did using the white Turtle Creek Central decals.

The Main line is Bachman EZ Track, with the passing line Atlas track on cork, and the staging siding is Atlas track on the wood. I did it this way because the prototype it is based on is just like this near my house.

Michael

Attachments

• nsr1.jpg
    nsr1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 175

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
And here is another view. Not bad for a 3 x 4 layout, eh?

Now I need some more cork and 5 or more switches to finish it up. Well, I'm going to the LHS to get the cork when I wake up this afternoon.

Michael

Attachments

• nsr2.jpg
    nsr2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 168

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Way to go!

It's looking good McF! That particle bord gives sort of a patchwork look to the contryside. Interesting. What buildings do you have planned? Any mountains or trees?

A good start, now full steam ahead :D

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Once we move I am planning on putting down some ground cover down as well as a few roads and buildings. Right now I am hoping to find a few more switches for a good price. The LHS wants a little more for the switches than I want to pay right now. I think I need to sit down and update the RTS layout plan to show the changes I've done. Perhaps I'll do that in a few before I lay down more track.... Naaaaaahhhhhhh! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) ;) :p :D

Michael

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Dagnabbit!

Forgot to get any switches while at the LHS (the price drove the thought of them out of my mind!) so now the laying of track is at a standstill on the NSR. The LPBs are estatic because they will still get paid through the delays. Hm, where did I put that soldering torch...?

Michael

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Finally got the LPBs back to work today. After many delays, the switches are all in place and the ballast is slowly going down. Plus, there is some greenery starting to grow on Moe Hill! Now I have to let what I've done dry before I can work on it anymore. Since I won't get a chance to work on it until Monday night (my next day off) it should have plenty of time to dry.... ;) :p :thumb:

Pardon the quality of the pictures, but my camera doesn't do too well in moderate light! :confused: :(

BTW, those two small bottles are from an inkjet refill kit I had. Their small nozzles are great for putting down glue as well as wet water in tight spaces around the switches without getting it all over the place.

Michael

Attachments

• nsr2.jpg
    nsr2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 79

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Looking good! Isn't it amazing how ballast makes it look so finished? I always feel like I've really done something on the layout after that!
Ralph