Fellow MRR needs a weeee bit of help!!

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I have a couple of comments:

1. With that kind of inventory, setting the alarm should have been as routine as breathing.

2. This sounds very much like an inside job. The burglar(s) knew exactly what to take and what was most valuable. Only another knowledgable MMR would know what to look for.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The fact that the peices missing were all still in original packaging suggest that whoever stole them is planning to resell them. Many of the pieces left on the railroad were as valuable as the ones taken, but stuff in original packaging is more easily sold at swap meets, train shows, etc.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
When I first read this I was sure someone that had been in the house prior did it. A good friend has a very similar experience when his fathers coin collection was stolen. The thieves turn out to be two very good friends that was a neighbor. They also were caught trying to sell the coins at a local flea market.

Interesting enough when the theft involves something like a collection it normally turns out to be some one that you know or had in the house at a prior time. Normal thieves would not target something so simple as a collection of trains. They are more likely to search for money, jewelry, guns and other things.

I know at times most of us are excited about our trains and we have a habit of bragging at shows or even on line. Most of us even open up our homes to share our layouts and again brag about our collection. I personally don’t list trains as a high theft risk but just maybe I might treat them more like gold in the future.

[FONT=&quot]At least this story had a very good ending.[/FONT]

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Guess that falls in with Leno's "Stupid Crooks".
Twenty or so years ago, I read a similar story in MR. Pretty much the same thing happened. One night this guy came home from work, found his house had been broken into. But the thief did take the tv, vcr, jewelry, and his brass loco collection. Couple of days later, he gets a call from the police saying they have the guy that broke into his house.
Seems like, he went into a hobby store with the locos, and asked the owner the value of the locos that his father had left him. The owner recognized the locos, because he sold them to the guy that got robbed. He told the "perp", that he had to check the pricing book he had in the back. Instead, he called the police. They arrested him on the spot. When they checked the "perps" apartment, they found tvs' vcr's and other items that had been robbed from other houses in the area.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
MY method...

Yep, stupid crinimals. The female was a blonde probalby toosign1 If I was robbed and they caught the crook(s), lets just say that I've always wanted to really hit someone with all of my body weight....:D :)