F40PH Decoder Install

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
I purchased three Digitrax Dn163K0d decoders for my F40PH's. I installed the first one and it programmed and ran wonderfully. The second and third would program, change lighting directions when direction was changed, but no turn the motor? I can push down on the plug on one of the two and it will respond, running both directions. The other will not run, but program and like the others the lights work.
I am thinking that the pads are not making contact tightly enough. I am also thinking, why did Kato change the best drop-in decoder design to something similar to the junkie Atlas type? Now instead of a good, solid clip attached to the sides, we have two funky thin wires and a decoder held down by a plastic plug that doesn't hold well enough apparently.
Does anyone have a fix?
Doc

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
I haven't owned any Kato stuff so I am not sure, but it sounds like your best bet would be to hard wire the decoder in. If your sure the decoders are ok.

Loren

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
If the decoder makes contact through pads on contacts below, you might be able to thicken up the pads with a bit of solder (basically tin the pads). I'm not familiar with this decoder, but that helped a contact issue I had in a Digitrax decoder in a Kato RDC (totally different install, but it could be a similar problem).

Jeff