Extra parts?

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Howdy again folks. Progress on my track has been steady and good, and the great news is my new ICH 2-10-2 Loco came today!!! It looks great! and I am just getting it ready to roll but I have one question before I power it up.

The loco cam with a small bag of "extra" (I think) parts. One looks like a coupler....(I think) and one piece looks like a cattle guard (again...I think). Since im still so new at this I wanted ask the experts before I proceed. The paperwork said NOTHING about these parts. Are these parts that need to be fixed to my loco? or are they just extra. Below is the best pic I could take of the parts with my crappy camera phone. Any help would me most apprecieated.

Also, is there some genral maintence I should give to a brand new engine (oiling the wheels or anything) before I power it up?

Thanks for your help folks

TJ
parts.jpg

part2.jpg

parts3.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Playdoh, old or new, all my lokeys go thru a tear down and lube. While some manufacturers do lube, I know IHCs usually are, many do not and it is a good way to get familiar with your new pet.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
shaygetz said:
Playdoh, old or new, all my lokeys go thru a tear down and lube. While some manufacturers do lube, I know IHCs usually are, many do not and it is a good way to get familiar with your new pet.

Somehow the idea of tearing it down and rebuilding scares the hell out of me. Im not mechanically stupid...but unless I had a step by step guide, im scared I would mess it up. What is the ballpark cost for a hobby store to do this? How often should it be done?

Thanks for all the great help

TJ

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Play-Doh said:
Somehow the idea of tearing it down and rebuilding scares the hell out of me. Im not mechanically stupid...but unless I had a step by step guide, im scared I would mess it up. What is the ballpark cost for a hobby store to do this? How often should it be done?

Thanks for all the great help

TJ

Depending on how often it is run, once a year usually covers it. As for cost, I charge $25 at the club and that is only after I have tried every means at my disposal to convince you that you can do it yourself...including dutch rubs and noogies:thumb: IHCs are some of the best steamers to learn on, 3 or 4 screws and your in. Get yourself one of those really small muffin tins, mark each cup 1-12, and put your screws in there accordingly, reverse the order when you are finished. Stay away from the valve gear linkages as you rarely have to do anything to them except to make sure that they are aligned the same way they were when you first went in.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
2 of the parts in your bag are couplings that you shouldn't need.
Not sure about the others. Some manufacturers leave off parts that would get in the way of operation on sharp curves. They may be alternate details.

What needs maintenance? Get a small bottle of plastic compatible oil and a tube of plastic compatible grease. Your hobby shop should have these -- I use LaBelle and I get the grease with Teflon. The grease goes on the teeth of the gears and the worm. You should be able to see if there's any on from the factory.
Take a piece of aluminum foil and drop two drops of oil on it. Then take a pin and dip the point in the oil and transfer it to places where parts rub. You want only the smallest amount of oil. Places are: where the axles turn in the frames, where the rods are mounted on the wheels, other joints in the valve gear. When you get the body off, the places where the motor shaft turns in the motor frame, and any other bearings that hold up the driveshaft (if it's not one piece).