Everybody keeps telling me to take a hike

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Tyson Rayles, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

so I did. :D This time of year they haven't refilled Lake Fontana yet and you can drive aways down the river (in this case on the Great Smoky Mtn. Park side), to the mouths of various creeks, some of which played host to logging R.R.'s at one time. This is Peachtree creek we think. This first pic shows where the R.R. (not sure which one) crossed the creek as it headed up the "holler". Course the only thing left 60 plus years later is the remains of the abutments.

Attached Files:

2. Tyson Rayles

Turning to the left we can look up the creek. The tree line tells you this area will soon be under 12-15 feet of water for another summer. The railroadwent up the left side (just out of pic) at this point.

Attached Files:

3. Tyson Rayles

The "crick" is just to your right as we walk down the old right of way.

Attached Files:

4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Cool Tyson!
    It's really neat to find those old "ghosts"!
    Isn't there an old Sou Ry tunnel that was covered up by Lake Fontana, & that still shows itself when the water is low?
  5. Tyson Rayles

There was a few old stumps down in the creek in this spot. My friend was brave enough to crawl down the bank and get out on one of em'. They probably averaged 4-5 ft. across.

Attached Files:

6. Tyson Rayles

A little further up the R.R. crossed the creek, this is about the only sign left. It's pretty overgrown but if you look close you can make out the abutment.

Attached Files:

7. Tyson Rayles

A little further on up it crosses again, by this time you are getting deep into the forest and this one also faces north so less undergrowth.

Attached Files:

8. Tyson Rayles

At this point my friends lunch hour was wayyyyyyyyy over so we had to head back. I'll leave you with this shot from down in the creek, shooting up the mountain. Charlie you are correct my friend, some old timers want you to believe there is a loco still in the tunnel :D :D :D . When the lake level is just right you can take your boat thru it.

P.S. Notice as we go up the mountain the creek keeps getting smaller, in the last shot we are probably less than a mile from the main spring or springs that start the creek.

Attached Files:

9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

See guy's, TOLDJA it's a CRICK! 'taint no creek, that's what ya hear bufore ya fall thru the roof, into the hay or onto a cow. Ty lives there, so he's thu ufficial crick name pronuciator!

Suppose a schmardt guy just watches thu boat go thru when the lake us jest raht, jest in case the lake gets unrhat!

Ty, those are some sweat pics. Just the area where I'll be havin a surry parker log loader [​IMG]

BTW: The LPBs have been buhavin well so far, but I keep hearin wuna them say, "Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel like a pig!" ever time I walk away. Whadya suppose that's all 'bout? :confused: Keep hearin dualin banjos too.[​IMG]
  10. interurban

interurban Active Member

Thanks for taking us with you Tyson;)
    very enjoyable, next time i`ll wear me boots:D
  11. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Chris don't go down in the crick, or he might call you an old stump!

What??? Who said that!?!?:mad: :mad: :mad: doh!
  12. Tyson Rayles

Jon if you see some guys in white jackets walking toward you, RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!!!!!!! :D :p :D :rolleyes: :D
  13. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A fun post Tyson. Good to get out and take in some of that freshfresh air. :rolleyes:
  14. Tyson Rayles

Yeah Robin, it was a long winter in more ways than one. It's good to get out and go! :)
  15. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Real nice photo's Tyson, where's the ghost train.

Jon, it is still a CREEK a crick is what you get in the neck in the UK.LOL

Shamus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I ain't ascared a them, Ty, I cin squorm outa wuna them jackets in seconds! :D :D :D