Ertl trucks

ERTL 1917 Model T

I just got one off of e-bay, paid $9.00 with shipping. The scale was shown at 1/25 scale as is printed on the box so I was thinking let me get this and see what exactly the size is. This one measures 3 1/2" high and 5 1/2" long. Dia. of the wheels are 1 3/8". It is surely large for "O" gauge (1/4" to the foot). If I knew what size the dia of a 1917 model T was, including the tire I could figure out what scale these are.......hope that helps some.

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
ERTL Diecasts

ERTL does not make 1:87 toys. They briefly entered the model railroading field in the late 90's with excellent plastic structural kits , and assembled versions of the structures as well as a group of prototypically correct 1930-50 freight cars in 1:87.

Alll were weathered , but the slow return on the investment caused them to right off the model trains and they dumped the line. The large retailers (TrainWorld, et al) sold everything at fire sale prices , in 2001.

I don't know what happened to the freight car dies , but the structure tooling was brought back from China and sold to a U.S. maker (called I think- Railway Design). They offer them at the original list prices of 30 to 60 bucks , along with other kits they make. They fall into the category of plastic structures for the intermediate modeller. They make up into very fine structures, but are not craftsman kits. By the same token , they are not going to come out as well as is possible, if this is your first kit building effort.
If you are interested in 'HO' scale motor vehicles , I suggest you join the YAHOO 1:87 vehicles group. There are also" die cast bus" and the "die cast cars" group. The latter is where the true experts in the field of die cast vehicle collection can be found.
Good-Luck, PJB

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I took a pass on the truck. Would've been great if it were HO, my interest was due to its being painted in the NYC pacemaker scheme. The only reason I'm aware of Ertl at all was those fantastic boxcars, I got several of them back when they were being unloaded. I hope someone buys the dies and puts them back out. Thanks again.

Gary

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
From Days Gone By

Gary, Ulrich made that exact same truck in HO scale but unfortunately that's now long gone.:(

Take a look around some trainshows or swapmeets you might turn one up. It was a cast metal kit. If you find one the decals probably won't be any good but you should be able to come up with something that would work. Maybe N scale decals????

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Ertl used to make 1/87 scale farm machines and die-cast cars, But when Racing Champions bought them back in 1999 or 2000, they dropped the 1/87 scale line and now only offer 1/64 scale vehicles.
You can still probably pick up 1/87 at collectible swap meets and shows.
I saw the 1/87 scale die-cast in Wal-Mart a few years back, only if I knew.

F

Fred_M

ertyl flats

Here's a pair of the ertyl flats with optional loads I purchased when they were on fire sale. The loads are nice and i wish I could find more for $2.50 each because they fit on Athearn flats with little work. The flats as shipped from ertyl are extremely light (1.5 ounces as I recall) and need weights put in the loads which are glued together and must be carefully "broke" apart and reglued after weighting. I saw no way to add weight to an empty flat. They also came with "kadee" style couplers with the cheap plastic latch spring which last about 2 inches on a heavy train. They also have plastic wheels which were of good quality for plastic. I still run them today. The rust color of the wheels and trucks were a nice touch i wish others would adopt. DASH

Attachments

• ertyl.jpg
    ertyl.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 126