Entry Level DCC

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Okay guys, I'm seriously thinking about making the DCC plunge now, while my motive power fleet is still relatively small. Got a couple questions for y'all before I do, however. Right now I see three entry-level DCC systems, from MRC, Digitrax, and Atlas. How do they all compare? I guess my biggest concern now is expandability over anything else. Right now I have no DCC-equipped locomotives, but in short order I will most likely have an Atlas SD35 equipped (with a replacment circuit-board decoder) and two or three Atlas GP38's (factory-equipped with decoders). I also have an Atlas/Kato RS-3 & GP30, a Life-Like SW1200, and a Atlas GP9 that I'm scratching my head, figguring out how to equip. Any suggestions? Any pointers and tips you could offer would be much appreciated!

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I really don't know much about the MRC and Atlas systems. I had heard bad things about the MRC, but they may be straightened out now. The Digitrax system offers the best expansion capability. That's what I and several others here will recommend. Of course there are those who like the other systems as well. If you know anyone with a system, see if you can use it for awhile. Bear in mind all are good for the basic 4x8, but you may want more later. One thought would be to buy the same system owned by someone you may operate with regularly, so you can bring your throttle to use and vice versa.

Good luck and have fun!

Gary