early era

mikey

Jan 4, 2005
Hello:

I am very new to the forum and am considering getting into N scale trains.

I am drawn to the steam engines and want to learn how to find passenger cars or freight cars from the early eras.

I like the look of the Atlas Mogul 2-6-0 but it sure looks like a train from the turn of the last century. Are there cars (passenger or freight) made to go with it? I don't need to be completely accurate with things but would at least like to be close.

Any info will be of great assistance. We have a train show this weekend in my town so I may be able to find what I am looking for there.

Many thanks in advance!

Mikey

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
The Model Die Casting/Roundhouse cars (Overton) are the only one readily available in N Scale that harken back to the early era of American steam. There may be a better assortment available in European or Japanese steam, but you're unlikely to find those at a trainshow.

Athearn, who recently acquired MDC, is re-releasing the MDC Overtons with operating couplers, so if you can't find the prior release, you'll be able to pick them up shortly.

sams

Dec 17, 2004
mikey,
i'm modeling the early steam era...
and for passenger cars...
MDC (now athearn), have overtons and overlands...
bachmann also has overlands...
freight cars are also available.

for loco's...
there's the b'mann 4-4-0 and spectrum 2-8-0, atlas 2-6-0, MDC 2-6-0 and 2-8-0...
model power is supposed to come out soon with a mogul and a consol...

now the moguls started out in the '60s...by the '70s they were pretty much overshadowed by the 2-8-0 consols...

so, if you're thinking turn of the century, there is a decent variety of tractive power to choose from.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
hi Mikey.

I too am doing a turn of the century layout, that is 19th to 20th, NOT the Millenium change. :D

Athearn, Atlas, Bachmann and Model Power all have Steamers from that era.

Athearn has purchased MDC, so the Roundhouse line is now available at:

http://www.athearn.com/

They have a 2-8-0, several Overton (34') Passengers and Overland (50') passengers. As well as 36' Truss Rod reefers, stock and box cars.

Bachman has/had some old time cars, they were "toy" like, but could be modified into passible models.

Check out my website, under rolling stock for samples.

Hope this helps.

brokemoto

Jan 1, 2005
The Atlas/Micro-Ace mogul has the appearance of a Civil War Era locomotive. It does not have the best speed control. It also has only one truck live on the tender, so it tends to stall on #6 plastic frog switches.

The MDC 2-8-0 and 2-6-0 are more late nineteenth century prototypes. The MDCs are amoung the best operating N scale steam locomotives out there. They are excellent pullers and their speed control is scale. they do not show stalling problems.

Any of the rolling stock mentioned by the previous posters will work with the MDCs. There is a lot you can get away with if you are doing nineteenth century or even VERY early twentieth. More than a few roads were running all sorts of diverse equipment, much of it thrown together in haphazrd fashion.

sams

Dec 17, 2004
the prototype for the atlas mogul is actually a meter gauge made by porter.
in fact its so small...the atlas/micro ace was made in 1:130 so it could be used in n-scale.
its unfortunate that it has some problems (slow speed, stalling)...
but i might get it anyways...
it'll go nicely next to my 4-4-0 ;)

Will_annand said:
Gee, sams, that makes 3 of us now who like "Early Steam" it is an epidemic. LOL
Make that 4. My layout is loosly based in the 1912-1919 range but there are some 50' Overland coaches in NYC colors being pulled through the mountains. I hear the future iron mine may have an old American or two pulling some ore cars around also.

Wayne

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
I'm basing an HO railroad on that time period. If you want some inspiration, get the book called "The Old Up & Down, the Catskill mountain branch of the NYC". Lots of great photos. Also, the book series from the Railroadians called "The Next Station Will Be..." shows Erie railroad stations from 1910. Great details building ideas there.

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
I wanted to go with the 1830-1870's but can't find anything but the Bachman John Bull and Dewitt Clinton. I have both and they are nothing but toy junk. Ended up going with the early 1900's cause that's as early as I can find anything available that is worth anything.

hswn

Aug 19, 2003
South Shore Nova Scotia
Visit site
IF your keeping track you better keep adding. I'm modeling CN in the mid fifties and I'm considering modeling Springfield Railway a local logging line the ended operations in 1920. They had 3 shays so I want to get an Atlas Shay problem 1 $$. they also had a 2-4-4T Porter, I don't expect to see any of the big companies produce it though. Any ideas what I can use for drivers.
Brady

Attachments

• Copy of Springfield Rwy. Porter Railbus.JPG
    Copy of Springfield Rwy. Porter Railbus.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 58

hswn

Aug 19, 2003
South Shore Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know the photo I attached is going to raise some questions the passenger section carried 16. I know of another Porter from the same era that was converted from 2-4-4T to 2-4-0 with a 4 wheel tender. That I'd also like to model. I wish some one would produce and sell drivers for N scale steamers, you can get them for ho.
Brady