Down by the riverside

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Here are some pics of what can be found along the river bank near Kings Port on my layout. First we see an RS3 setting out a short string of open hoppers to be loaded with coal by crane from the barge below. This company called Allied Bulk Commodaties (ABC) also loads sand and gravel as will be seen later. In the background is the famous Vandelay Industries.

Attachments

• river1.jpg
    river1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 126

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Moving to the right we can see the conveyor system for unloading sand and gravel with a barge of gravel below tied up and about to unload. Parts of Kings Port Steel are pictued in the background.

Attachments

• river3.jpg
    river3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 86

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
A close up of the Susan J. She's made of wood blocks, a plastic box that some screws came in, and a pair of hand held pencil sharpeners.

Attachments

• river4.jpg
    river4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 108

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Moving farther to the right we see the Sumpter Ave. lift bridge and mouth of the Sawyerkill Creek that empties into the river.

Attachments

• river6.jpg
    river6.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 86

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Finally, this shot gives a good view both of Kings Port Steel in the background and most of Mid River Power and Light up front. Hope you enjoyed the tour! :wave:

Attachments

• river7.jpg
    river7.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 132

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the tour Ralph! :thumb:

I really like your retaining wall, especially the second photo that shows the stairs. I'm going to need one of those for my harbour scene, and was wondering if you could tell us how you made it. Is it a kit or scratchbuilt? It sure looks good.

Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks everybody! I appreciate the comments!

Val, I made the retaining wall out of wood and covered it with thin corrugated cardboard, the kind that is flexible enough to roll up. It seemed perfect as a sea wall, very like some I've seen in the real world. I spray painted the cardboard black prior to installation and used a ruler to help me mark a high water line that I represented with brown and rusty colored chalks.

The concrete section at the bottom of the stairway is just a piece of wood, smeared with joint compound, sanded smooth, and tinted with Woodland Scenes coloring.

A little strip wood was used as the top trim.
Ralph