Double Crossover Turnouts...Question

T787

Mar 24, 2005
California
If you have double tracks and you use double crossover turnouts. Ok lets say you have 2 trains A & B. If A switches to the track containing B would it interfere with the other power pack and train B? Im so confused, you can tell im not an electrical genius:confused:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Assuming that you're using two-cab DC control, then you would have switches to choose which power pack to control which block. If you wanted a train to move from one track to another via a double crossover, ideally you'd set the cab control so both blocks (the one the train is in) are under control of the same cab. If there were two trains in the same block or in different blocks under control of the same cab, they would both move when you applied power from the powerpack.

If you were using DCC, then no problems at all--the other train is addressed separately.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
T787 said:
Having 2 trains in one power pack wont damage the train at all?
You can run more than one train on a single power pack providing that the power pack has a high enough rating to handle the load. Most will though. And remember, if you are running two trains on the same DC track and one is slightly faster than the other, they will eventually run into each other even going in the same direction.

If you are running two cabs, or two power packs, you've got to isolate blocks and provide switches so that each block runs from one or the other.

Keep asking questions and someone can provide answers for you.:)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If you run from pack A to pack B, you will get interesting little speed blips as the loco changes from powered by one to powered by two to two powered by one.
You will get major headaches if pack B is running the opposite direction to pack A.
If you're planning this sort of operation, you shpuld check out Block Wiring in a wiring book. Atlas makes little switch devices and a wiring book that should show you what you need. You probably need twice as many blocks as you have trains, and possibly an extra few at the crossover.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I had a double crossover that was made by Model Power, I think. It was manufactured in such a way that both tracks and the crossover were common to each other. Since I didn't know much about wiring at the time, I made the crossover a separate block by itself in order to use it.

T787

Mar 24, 2005
California
Well i was just planning to get a Kato double crossover and lets say I have train A on one block and B on another and I want A to switch to the B block. Wouldnt the two power packs be in conflict? Also I will be trying to use the double plate track set.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The two power packs won't be in conflict as long as the trains are running in the same direction at the crossover even if they aren't set to the same speed/voltage.
You will run into problems when you get both trains in one block and one overtakes the other; also when one runs into the other as it goes over the crossover.
Think about some sort of block, even if it's just an on-off switch so that you can hold one train.
I hope the crossover has some insulating gaps in the middle, or both packs will be running both parts of the layout.