Double crossover problem? Help!

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Hello everyone, i have a problem. I have a section on my layout that is considered a reverse section due to a crossover. It is controlled with a MRC AD520 auto reverse unit. All has been working fine until i decided to add another set ow switches so i could reverse in either direction. Now when my train passes from the main line to the reverse section, it shorts out and re sets my Digitraxx unit. I have insulated all locations i thought i needed, but it still shorts out. I have a picture showing the set up, so if anyone can tell where im going wrong, please feel free to tell me. Thanks!
steve:cry:

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 180

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Is there really a reversing section here? In other words, does a train go along the same track in opposite directions? With crossovers you want to have the parallel tracks wired the same, so that when you go from one to the other you don't havea short.

If one, or the other, or both of the set of tracks goes on to actually reverse, make the loop(s) the reverse sections(s), and life should be good again. If you have live frogs, or the frogs are not insulated you could cause a short there, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Jeff

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Your photo is cool, but it is not clear to me what all is insulated. Can you show the gaps on your sketch?

I think that if you had it working and added that second set of turnouts, you should not add any more plastic joiners.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
You will need insulated rail joiners or gaps in both rails where shown in red on the diagram. Ideally, the length of the reversing section should be longer than your longest train to avoid multiple trips of the automatic reverser on each passage. Your reversing unit attaches to the crossover section in the middle.

View attachment 32385

I am assuming you are using insulated frog turnouts such as Atlas or Peco Insulfrog. If not, then additional gaps or insulated rail joiners will be required to prevent the turnouts from causing shorts themselves.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• layout.JPG
    layout.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 154

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
This is where I would create two reversing blocks.

layoutdq9.gif

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Steve: I would make the reverse block on the left hand track in the picture, where the two turnouts are point to point. Then extend the reverse section as far down the straight section as possible. You'll need gaps in the middle of both crossovers and way along the main line. This will give you the simplest wiring. You may get stuck with not being able to bring a second train into the reverse block.
If you can get 2 reverse units, you could do the other track. Divide it between the crossovers, gap the middle of the crossovers, and run the blocks over to the next turnouts. This might give you more operational flexibility.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Steve: regret my computer skills are not up to that level!
Lust looked at LoudMusic's diagram -- that would work too. You could get away with one reverser as long as you don't bring trains into the reversing sections from opposite ends.

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Well, after much debate, i fixed my reverse problem....... I removed it! Seriously though, i wanted to add a nice bridge somewhere and that was a great place too. Now i need to figure out how to box in the location for the bridge. Thanks for all the suggestions, but i think ill be happier with it like this.:wave:

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Ah, Steve....

Don't give up. Reversing sections are the coolest!

I still think mine would work best.... did you ever try it?

Now, when you add that second set of turnouts you are indeed creating a second reversing section.

I have a dogbone myself, at one end is a reversing loop, and at the other end is a yard with a reversing wye. One MRC module handles the loop and the wye for me quite nicely. The only thing is, if I am running two locos and they are both entering reversing sections at the same time, there is a 50/50 chance I will get a short. This is a real rarity because 1.0 I've got a lot of mainline track bw tween the loop and the wye and b.) I'm on the lookout for that circumstance.

I think what you've playing around with is a flawed concept of what part of your track is the mainline and what parts are the reversing section.

I think what you've got is that little section in the middle you're calling the reversing section, THAT'S the mainline, the giant loops on either side of it are two huge reversing sections.

http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31495&d=1162172470

First, consider the entire "top" of the sketch. That track, which I've gapped at 1 is nothing more that a long passing siding, and will not, by itself reverse the direction of the train.

Now, if it were my layout, I'd put my gaps at 1,2,3 and 4. 3 is kinda hard to see because the lines that represnt your turnouts are a little tight there. It doesn't really matter if the blue track is the "mainline A" and the red is the "reversing section B" or vice versa. Those are labels and nothing more.

The module C goes in where I've shown. Yellow wires don't show too well on a white background, so I used blue.