Donkey Try...HELP!!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Just roughing one out...please advise! I stuck an MDC Shay fuel tank on the back, as well as an acrylic paint bottle (for diameter, NOT height) just for starters.

-Not long enough?
-Is the "fuel tank" too small?
-Are the skids too tall?

Help!!

Attachments

• donkey first try.jpg
    donkey first try.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 216

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Disclaimer: I have never seen or built a donkey and I don't know anything about logging, On30 or 303's, so I am likely the least qualified person to answer your post. I do know how to club away at the keyboard, though, so I'm gunna try :D :D :D

Referring to the famouse shamos 303 donkey here, the one in the Academy: If I'm not mistaken, a 303 casing would be .3" at the top where it was once crimped to a lead pill. Just earballin it, I would say it's about 5 times taller than that, or about 1.5" Sooooo, if I'm not mistaken, I guess you about double it to get O from HO, so I guess you want it to be about 1/2 in dia or maybe 3/4 and about 3" tall. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this should get you close enough for government work. I would start with 1/2" PVC pipe and go from there :D :D :D Maybe even 1/2" PVC caps, which are about 5/8 or 3/4 dia, then go to 1/2" pipe at the top?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Here's the thread on Donkey Engines
http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2459&highlight=Donkey

You have a great start there my friend, the Boiler looks about right for size, I used an old 303 shell for mine.
Shamus
wink.gif

Originally posted by jon-monon
Disclaimer: I have never seen or built a donkey and I don't know anything about logging

A sled was typically loaded with a "donkey" steam engine and hauled into the woods by rail. It was then pulled to the yard site by horses, mules, or oxen.

They were most commonly used with drums of wire rope and vertical capstans to haul logs from the woods, to load logs at landings, to rig trees, to move themselves through the woods, and even to lower cars and heavy equipment down inclines.

I didn't model the sled in the photos below with an engine (sorry, Shamus :( ), but one is in the plans.:)

Attachments

• flat&sled5.jpg
    flat&sled5.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 206

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
lighthorseman,
I can give you a few dimensions which may help.

skid length= 14'-15'
skids=12" X 12"
boiler diameter=39" - 42"
boiler height (to top of stack)=12'
boiler height to beginning of taper to stack=7'
boiler, winches,etc are mounted on 12" I beams bolted to skid
stack diameter=9"

These dimensions are close, there were different manufacturers, so sizes varied somewhat, but this should get you, not just in the ball park, but within the base lines.
Pete

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Steve, You know, I wish I would do a little more forethought to my models and mock them up before I get down to the building:eek: :D :D I think your idea is a great approach:) :)

Nothing critical at all....just wondering though if the skids are perhaps just a bit high??? It may be just the way I'm looking at it and it may be the way its supposed to be. The reason I say that is because 12x12 timber was about as large as could be cut in a backwoods saw mill where a lot of these contraptions were built...or rebuilt 'cause they really took some "hard knocks" in actual use. Just thinking that if the skids need to be higher than that you could use 12x12 for the base and 4x12 or 6x12 for a cap. That might result in a more "rustic":D look too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the completed model and know that it will be great!!!!:) :)

Ain't counting no rivets:D
Ain't picking no nits:D

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
HUGE Skids

Thought you guys might like a taste of logging, British Columbian style!

These skids (hope the photo is attached) were cut up by the Capilano Timber Company in North Vancouver. They made skids up to 6 feet in diameter, and up to 40 feet in length! Reeaaalllly BIG!!!:eek: :D

They also used spar trees up to 200 feet tall!!!! I don't think I would've cut it as a tree topper....freak me out!!!

Stan

Attachments

• skids.jpg
    skids.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 168

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Stan, thats one hell of a photo showing the skidder being started.I like that a lot. Got any other photo's to post.

Shamus
wink.gif

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Donkey Info

Steve,

Thought you might be interested in this months (January/February 2003, http://www.ngslgazette.com/issue.htm) issue of the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. They have an article on how to scratch build an S Scale American Hoist & Derrick Steam Donkey Engine. It comes complete with a scale drawing showing many of the dimensions you are interested in.

Hope this helps!

Stan

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Thanks To All...

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'd like to offer a really big THANK YOU!!! :) :) :) to Drew, who emailed me a whole packet of diagrams and pictures.

Casey, that is one great looking piece of equipment.

...And Stan, I always keep an eye out for the GAZETTE, but it hasn't appeared here yet. Looking forward to the article.

Thanks, everyone!:)