Do they make...?

Do they make wheel axels that have resistance to them? I am thinking about buying Atlas's new signaling system. It uses current flow to "sense" the train. The problem is, the rolling stock doesn't draw any power! So, can I buy axels with wheels at are resistive. That will be enough to sense the rolling stock? I think I can get away with one per car. Maybe one per truck. Is there such a thing? Who makes them?

Thanks,
Andy :wave:

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
In the past, MRs have used resistance paint to paint a resistive line along an axle from one metal wheel to another. Note that only the last car in the train needs the resistor because the engine already has the motor, and that too many cars with resistors will load the power supplies (2 resistors in parallel halve the total resistance and so on). Before cabeese were done away with, installing resistance on your cabeese and observation cars was considered sufficient.

The SMD resistors Bob suggets would probably yield a more consistent resistance than the paint idea, but would take longer to install.

my thoughts, your choices

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
How much current does it need to trip the signaling system and how often does it need to be hit to keep it activated? I agree, adding too many of them is going to load your power supply substantially. Adding a FRED to the last car should load it if you use rail voltage to power it. I would think that Atlas would be aware that cars don't take power and should take that into consideration when designing the signaling system, but I have no idea other than supposition.:rolleyes:

Shaygetz idea is good for HO but to N scale is too small. Pgandw idea might work. :thumb: I think ezdays idea might work too! :thumb: I am going to try the new Atlas Signaling system. It's not out yet. I wonder if there is a timer you can adjust. That might be the best way to go. If not, I could add on a 555 timer to give the signal a little more time. I was going to use some IR sensors with Sunrise signals. I saw Atlas's and thought about trying that.

Andy :wave:

Whay couldn't they manufacture a metal wheel base that the axel itself is a resistor?:rolleyes: