Disaster on Eagle Mountain

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Dateline: Eagle Mountain, Yesterday

Body of Text:
A disaster took place on Eagle Mountain yesterday, as the morning shift was preparing to continue reballasting the line leading into the mine complex. Joe Smith, a little plastic man who works on the line, tells the story of what happened;
"Yes'm, there I was," said Joe, "standin' in the same place I have been glued for goin' on 15 years now, when this 200 foot tall cat appears out of nowhere and lands right in front of me. Scared the holy bajeebas outta' me, I kin' tell ya'. After the cat moved on, there was this big sink hole right where he had landed, and the MOW train was a'scattered all willy nilly. Oh the humanity of it all..."
Witnesses reported seeing a shop door, carelessly left open, in which the monster cat used to gain entry into our fair little world. Fortunately, the benevolent, resident giant cat who knows better than to play "Godzilla" in our miniature landscape, chased the offending monster (known only by the name "that stupid cat next door") away, preventing a much greater calamity.
Another mine employee (known only as "that little plastic guy in the overalls over by the interlocking tower") was quoted as saying;
"Thank God that beast didn't get into the mine complex proper, or there'd a been all sorts of horrible damage done, to the point that the Great Creator (known only as "that big, giant funny looking dude that shows up from time to time to run the trains around") would'a been ever so angry, and verily, would have probably risen up in righteous anger and smote yon monster neighbor's cat in a fit of righteous anger, him being the purveyor of all things righteous and angry... Amen."
Work is expected to commence to repair the sink hole sometime later this week. The council has proposed having the Creator install a motion detector alarm as an early warning system to alert the resident guard cat if a nefarious interloper were to discover that the shop door is once again left open (as it is when the weather is nice...). It is felt that with enough warning, the big (slightly dumb) but benevolent guardian of our little world could be summoned with enough haste, to prevent further catastrophes of the like, in the future.
Updates as they become available.
Photo of the damage caused by the stupid 200 foot tall cat attached...

Attachments

• sinkhole.jpg
    sinkhole.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 240

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Dateline: Eagle Mountain, Today

In a related story:
It was discovered by the little plastic geologists that are glued next to the geology building in the mine complex, that our world is not (as previously believed) a solid ball of matter with an iron core. Studies done on the sinkhole caused by the 200 foot "horror" cat from yesterday, point to the conclusion that our world is actually hollow, covered by a thin shell of plaster soaked giant newspaper strips, covered with sifted dirt glued to the shell.
One of the geologists, known only as "the little dude on the left with the red hat," was quoted as saying;
"Sheeoot! Don't that a'beat all! You get used to a prevailing theory of creation and BAM! Some giant cat drops in and throws it all a'sunder... Why, I'da swore there was more beneath out feet than a thin coat of plaster and giant newspaper strips, keeping us from falling into a deep chasm with gigantic cardboard boxes at the bottom... Hollow worlds, 200 foot tall cats--why next thing you know the creator'll be installing some new fangled DCC system or something..."
The DCC threat could not be immediately confirmed although this reporter has heard rumors. Hopefully, they are just rumors as it is believed the Creator is not observant enough to prevent train collisions if he were to gain access to such unlimited and nebulous control.
More news on the subject as it comes in...

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
great article:D :D I've got a 4 legged motion detector (Sheltie) that monitors for "giant cats" around our house. Not many come to visit.

Looks like your construction crew is going to have a little work to do.

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
In this case I'm glad I have a one man scaredy-cat. One look at the trains or even the sound of them and he scoots. Of course not without giving me a look that says, "thanks a lot - yeah, that's worth disturbing me!"

Sorry about the damage Tom... but remember to be kind to your 200' KittyCat - he/she loves you very much!!

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Originally posted by msh
Sorry about the damage Tom... but remember to be kind to your 200' KittyCat - he/she loves you very much!!

Hey, it wasn't MY cat that did the damage. My cat chased off the damage causer...:D
Unfortunately, there is a situation developing with the neighbor's cat that is disturbing. My cat is a bit of a loner and therefore does not allow other cats into his territory (like the shop/layout area). Unfortunately, when I left for work today, I saw him in the side yard with the little hussy from next door (the offending cat). He was laying on his back, kneading the air and letting her lick his face. Now, he is generally unfriendly to any cat that enters our yard (his territory). Some dang female shows up and he's belly up, swapping spit with her...
Now I don't trust him. He'll probably let her terrorize the whole place and just sit there all "goo goo" eyed... (little traitor):mad:
Guess I'll have to install a screen door on the shop... (sigh...)

Tom F

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by tomfassett
Dateline: Eagle Mountain, Today

In a related story:
It was discovered by the little plastic geologists that are glued next to the geology building in the mine complex, that our world is not (as previously believed) a solid ball of matter with an iron core. Studies done on the sinkhole caused by the 200 foot "horror" cat from yesterday, point to the conclusion that our world is actually hollow, covered by a thin shell of plaster soaked giant newspaper strips, covered with sifted dirt glued to the shell.

Kinda puts a hamper on darwins theory :D :D :D

Great way to battle a potential rage with humor and creativity.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Shelties rule. When I'm working on my layout (garage), ours usually hangs out at the door to the garage, preventing our kitten (who thinks its pretty kewl to jump on the layout and watch trains) from coming anywhere near the benchwork.

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
I have now turned a tragety into an opportunity. On the way home from work, I stopped off at the local hobby store and blew a bunch of money on scenery related materials. I got a bunch of rock molds, some more ground foam to replace the trees, some ground cover, a few little buildings, some rock culverts, a diesel service facility, some ballast, some....................
Yep, that oughta' repair that hole quite nicely. Oh, did I mention the new Atlas SW1500 with factory installed DCC? Gotta' have it for the MOW train that got derailed...
I could get into this repair stuff (here kitty, kitty...):D

Tom F

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Great reporting.

I will have to try that reasoning with the wife the next time I need that new locomotive. But honey the dog and the cat were playing and the old one got knocked over. What am I going to run my trains with?

acshrpe

Oct 15, 2002
Southern MI
Visit site
OH, your poor little men. I would hate to see it if one of my fine feathered friends flew by. Then they would surely think the world is comming to and end -- a big green condor and an even bigger blue and gold monster condor. Then our sheltie would bark - scare all the big birds and the biggest one of the condors would say "Stop that! Don't do that! NO NO NO" When it is all over your poor little guys would be on the floor rolling with laughter. If you tell your wife that one maybe she will let you buy a lot more "necessities" for you poor little men. hehe

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
All kidding aside: To those who think it's okay to mace, shoot and otherwise bash animals, SHAME ON YOU! :mad: :mad:

I'll admit I'd be pretty upset over my work being crushed like this, but that wouldn't ever justify inflicting pain or even death on a living creature. What are you thinking? It's hardly an earth shattering or permanent situation. Tom even said, "I have now turned a tragety into an opportunity."

I wouldn't even consider spanking my son if he had done it and I certainly would never get physical with someone else's child. Kids all make mistakes and with proper guidance, learn from them.

Use your superior intelligence to prevent this type of thing from happening by eliminating the animal's access instead of boasting over your preventitive or post event punishment methods. Really folks - you're the one with the common sense, not the offending animal. How would you feel if someone shot or maced your dog to keep them from pooping on their lawn?

It takes a small person to beat up on a small animal. Feel free to electronically mace me if you wish, but if hurting animals is your thing you've got a problem and I'd prefer you kept it a dirty secret.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Sorry I offended you. :( :( :( Bad joke. I wouldn't hurt any animal unless it was threatening me or my family, including my dogs. I've found a big cat in my garage several times and I just let it out. :( :( :( I saw a cat on the road on the way to work today and felt bad for it and it's owners. No way could I hurt one for my own entertainment or just out of anger. I've known people who did just that though.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
No offence taken here Jon, It was just a story and a jolly good one at that.
By the way, now that a big puddykat has created potential foundations you might consider puting a building up right there! :D :D
Heh heh heh, talk about opportunities?? :)

Errol