Dirk Pitt, Here. Just want to Introduce Myself

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dirkpitt289, Mar 10, 2018.

1. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

Hi everybody.

My name is Dirk Pitt and I'm new to your site and a newbie at card building. I predominantly build styrene/vinyl and resin models but a few years back I started to dabble in the card kits. So far I've only completed 4 kits but I hope to expand that number. After the short time here I can feel the inspiration coming to the surface. Here are some pictures of my builds so far

My first kit was the Travel pod from "Star Trek, The Motion Picture." I made two sheets of each part and cutout and added all the panels. I was pleased at the outcome.

Attached Files:

2. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

My next paper project was the Mad Max Pursuit car from the movie "Mad Max." Building a car from paper was an amazing thought. Again I was very pleased at the results

Attached Files:

3. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

Next was the Battlestar Berzerk from the reimagined TV series "Battlestar Galatica." The cool thing I did with this one was add the guns from a 1/700 battleship kit. It really made it the Gunship its suppose to be
    20141229_000607.jpg 20141229_000701.jpg 20141229_000902.jpg 20141229_000711.jpg IMG_20141002_225417_735.jpg
  4. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

Next up was the Lotus Esprit from the James Bond Movie "The Spy Who Loved Me." Again I used some styrene parts to add to the kits detail

Attached Files:

5. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

The last one I built was Moonraker 6 from the James Bond movie "Moonraker." Thanks for taking the time to look at my work. If you choose I post my builds on my facebook page and youtube channel. I look forward to talking with all of you

Attached Files:

6. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

Hello and welcome to Zealot! :)

Wow, these are some fine builds! I'm sure you will find many inspirations going through the sites of the forum.

But be aware: Card modeling is addictive..! ;)

Have fun and enjoy! :)

RF
  7. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

8. subnuke

subnuke Moderator Intelligence Extraordinaire Moderator

Welcome aboard. Really like the diorama style of display.
  9. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

Thanks SubNuke
  10. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Nice assortment of models. All built very well. Your styrene skills are welcome here, if you wish to post models that you have made. The Lotus is one of my favorite models, and the Battlestars are well done, I'm a BSG nut. I enjoy car models and you did a really good job on the Mad Max pursuit car. Welcome to Zealot, and Thank You very much for posting your Introduction. :)
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  11. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

Thank you Zathros, its nice to be here
    zathros and Revell-Fan like this.
  12. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

I think you will find this forum very supporting and sharing. There is a level playing field. no primadonnas, and no belligerent of negative comments allowed. We do sometimes offer constructive criticism, but it is done in a positive manner. PeMembers share quite a bit here. It is one of the many good aspects of this forum. You have made a grat Introduction, and won't be treated as a stranger. This is why Introductions are so important. :)
  13. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

Welcome to Zealot! By the way, Nice Avatar. I have always liked Rev. Jim from "TAXI". There is nothing wrong with plastic or resin. If you have noticed, there are sections for both here.

You have done a very good job on the models that you have posted. I look forward to seeing more!

If you can, please post build threads. We love seeing how people use different techniques when they build their models. Not only that, but build threads are a great way to highlight problem areas where you may need assistance or that you have found an interesting way to solve said problem.

If you have any questions, comments, concern, need help, or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here! I look forward to seeing more of your work!
    dirkpitt289 likes this.
  14. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant Moderator

Welcome! I can see that you will fit right in, you have the skills to become a great member here. Greeblers are always welcome to knock themselves out.
    dirkpitt289 likes this.
  15. Tatoman

Tatoman New Member

Awesome! I like all of them , specially the Mad Max Interceptor. Welcome here and enjoy
    dirkpitt289 likes this.
  16. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

Welcome @dirkpitt289 ! Wow, those are really good builds! I like the Lotus & Moonraker particluarly, probably the first Bond movies I recall watching :)

I'm curious, what scale did you build in for the travel pod? (I'm building the Enterprise A so it caught my eye ;))

You're definatley in the right place!
  17. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

Thanks for the kind words, CG. Its been some time since I built that Travel pod. I don't recall the scale
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  18. paper hollywood

paper hollywood Member

Hiya, Dirk! I've watched a lot of your YouTube videos and seen you on the Amazing Scale Modeler hangout many times. It's nice to see you're branching out into paper world a bit these days. My only word of caution is that you may soon be filling a lot of hard drive space with model files you intend to get around to someday. However, come to think of it, that's probably preferable to filling a room in the house with unbuilt plastic kit boxes (I'm kinda guilty in that area as well).

For those who don't know Dirk, in addition to his ModelingGuy YouTube channel, he moderates the Amazing Scale Modeler Facebook group, which I understand is growing fast and very active. I'm one of those Facebook holdouts, but perhaps it's not a passing fad after all...
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  19. dirkpitt289

dirkpitt289 New Member

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah ASM is a pretty cool place to hang, we welcome ALL kinds of modeling and are pretty active. I also like doing the youtube thing as well. My channel is still recovering from a rebuild. I'm slowly but surly reposting all my previous builds including some of my paper builds. I hope you guys will check it out....
  20. Gandolf50

Gandolf50 Researcher of obscure between war vehicles... Moderator

Welcome to Zealot.. missed your intro as I was in the bowels of the 3d world for a time.. and took awhile to resurface back to this reality.. hard to break away when you are neck deep in 10 projects!
    Nice builds...! Will have to check out the links .. was a great fan of amazing modeler magazine learned half a lifetime of things just in a few issues.. again.. Welcome and ask any questions and share some stuff..

Personally and the regulars here always say " We are always happy to help and lend a hand when we can, or we know someone!" ;)
    dirkpitt289 likes this.