Digitrax Zephyer Question

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
I am thinking of purchasing a Digitrax Zephyer system for a bookshelf layout I am going to build over the winter. My question is, can this system be used with a walk around throttle via the UP5 interface? :confused: Any other thoughts about this system would be apreciated, too.

Twilight

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
With the UP5 you can then use any of the Digitrax hand helds, plugged in. To go wireless you need either the infra red (UR90) or the radio (UR91) receivers. The DT100, 300 and 400 come with IR, as well as the newer UT4, which I don't have (yet). Or buy the R versions for radio. I use the IR and am happy with it.

Gary

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
I can't help thinking I saw a really simple cheap home-brew throttle design for a Zephyr, because it has (in addition to the other interfaces) a weird Zephyr-specific one that you can make a very simple throttle for... I can't find it now though, anyone else remember seeing that?

Charles

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The Zephyr has two connections which you can use to utilize DC power pack throttles. You could also use them for any number of homemade throttles. I don't own a Zephyr, and haven't seen one, so I don't know much more about them.

Gary

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have a Zephyr, and we run with Digitrax of all sorts at the modulare club. I thin kthat everything said so far is right. The Zephyr can take "smooth" DC input (i.e. not set on "pulse") as a "jump throttle" (up to 2 of those). So presuably, it can take any sort of DC input, so if you've got old powerpacks, walk arounds, whatever in DC, you should be able to use them with the Zephyr.

Andrew

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
Maybe my post wasn't as quite as clear as I thought(I'm new with the DCC stuff). Would I be able to use my DT400 Digitrax Super Throttle with a Zephyer system?

Twilight

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Twilight, I'm pretty sure my first sentence above gave you that answer, which is yes. You can use it plugged in to the UP%. I went on to say you can't use it wireless without either the IR or radio receivers.

Gary

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Hi,

I use DT400 with Zephyr on my small shelf layout and am quite happy with that setup. The DT400 justs plugs directly into the Zephyr or into a throttle bus line jack.

Bill

onceler

Aug 13, 2005
Round Lake, IL
If you are looking to purchase the DT400 w/ the Zephyr, you might want to think about the Empire Builder. With a small layout, it might be overkill, but if you are planning to upgrade in the future it might fit. I have been looking at the 2 and the Empire Builder is around the same price, or not that much more than a Zephyr + DT400.

HoosierDaddy

Dec 2, 2004
Enemy Territory
tillsbury said:
I can't help thinking I saw a really simple cheap home-brew throttle design for a Zephyr, because it has (in addition to the other interfaces) a weird Zephyr-specific one that you can make a very simple throttle for... I can't find it now though, anyone else remember seeing that?

Charles

Charles

Here is the home-made throttle that you may be thinking of. I haven't built one, but it looks interesting.

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/zephyr-cab.htm

HD

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The one drawback to the Empire Builder, unless it's been changed, is that it doesn't allow readback of cv's. I would miss this feature, but then I program with my throttle, not a computer.

Gary