Digital Navy Fuso

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi

Phillipe that's a great model of Fuso any chance of a couple more pics.

Just starting on "Takao" i hope I do half as well!!!

barry

bwallaw

Nov 26, 2005
Seattle, WA
Congratulations Phillipe. Your work is awesome and inspirational for me. Can't wait to get to work!

Thanks for sharing...

philippe

Feb 27, 2004
bretagne france
fuso

thanks for encouragements
i work with cyano gel glue, white 'SADER' glue (dispo in France) and Swann-morton scalpels.
it's my first ship papermodel, i was especialy free flight scale model builder (old timer balsa, tissue, rubber powered airplanes)
the design digitalnavy is so good that all the work become easier with a little patience.
my next project after finishing the Fuso is to build the Arizona digitalnavy,
...and learn english!!
philippe.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao

Hi

I found that british corn flake packets are about 1mm thick and are good for doubling up. having been building at 1/400 this thing is large.

barry

philippe

Feb 27, 2004
bretagne france
barry said:
Thanks for the new photos Phjllipe, impressed by the gun tubes

barry

bonjour,
the guns are made with 80g/m2 letter paper and uhu yellow stick glue
the design digital navy is realy good.
my next work is to find anchors chains. i will start the DN uss arizona this week end.
best regards
philippe

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hello Barry and Phillippe!
Maybe you fellows can tell me how you get your decks so wonderfully flat and true? On my JSC kit the deck had a tendency to buckle a bit, but I was worried about using too thick of card stock for fear of throwing off the rest of the hull measurements. Maybe it is a problem with the JSC construction method, not sure.
What size card stock do you usually use to avoid the buckling? Is there any other type of reinforcement that I should be using?
I'm not that good at this stuff yet, still learning :? , and any tips would be very much appreciated! :D
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Jim

You can beef up the formers almost as much as you like, for decks small models I laminate two pieces of thin card, large models head for the cereal packets about 1 mm. Stick the waterline plate firmly to a baseboard strengthen the joins, stick the formers with plenty of glue then get every large book you have got and pile them on top of the decks. Egcrates are extremely strong. After Takao I intend to put a coloured strip same as the waterline on first in thin paper just in case the height is not right. Don't rush to take the hull off the board and leave the weights on all night.

barry

philippe

Feb 27, 2004
bretagne france
hello,
i use the same method to built my ships.
i use 1mm carton found in art-store.
the deck is printed on 80g/m2 paper, ideal is photopaper.
before cutting, this paper is glued with spray-photo glue 3m
on the carton on non shiny face.
afterwards i cut out the various holes, and next the deck
outline, with a scalpel (sometimes breakages, be careful of eyes and fingers!).
i trace axe, and formers position on the back, i fix the deck on a stiff straight wooden plank, next i can build the hull structure, using 1mm carton. i thing that the final quality depend on accuracy of cutting of, don't use scissors, but knife and scalpel, with multiples passings. for the sructure assembling, i use white vinyl glue and i reinforce sometime with small sraps of carton, i use too books but also small pins to support assembling when the glue is drying. don't manipule the structure as long as the glue is strong.
"bon courage!"
philippe