detail parts etc.

P

philip

some new stuff

My latest attempt at rock making and cemetary cross, not finished yet. The windows are castings borrowed from the Walther Union Station Kit.

philip:)

Attachments

• details.jpg
    details.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 77

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Philip, I just checked out the J. L. Innovations items and couldn't see a bit of improvement over your details. Don't sell yourself short. I think that you have some very realistic details. If you don't believe me put a little paint on them, take a picture and put it up for auction on ebay. I bet that you could sell them faster than you could make them.
A couple of other items you could try are mail drop boxes, garbage cans, trash containers and dumpsters. Also telephone booths (either a regular booth or the wall mounted ones).
You could have a regular industry on your hands. :) :) :cool: :cool:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Philip that looks totally professional to me. I'm interested in your results with the windows - for some reason I assumed they would be impossible to cast. I've got to check this out - SOON!!!

Thanks for the insight.
Val

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Philip,although I agree with everyone that your stuff is just as good as JLI's product just be careful if your going to sell them that you don't sell products that are not your own creations like the windows. You know those pesky copyright laws. How about a little desciption on how your creating that stone wall? The windows are they being cast in rubber molds filled with plaster or what? Thanks Pat

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Phil, your latest run looks great.
I've got to get some of the casting supplies and try to make some replacement locomotive parts, like sideframes and fuel tanks. Boiler fronts, domes, pilots, cylinder blocks, oh heck why not a whole locomotive.

P

philip

window etc

You know those pesky copyright laws. How about a little desciption on how your creating that stone wall? The windows are they being cast in rubber molds filled with plaster or what? Thanks Pat

Yes I do. I promise I won't sell any windows.
Yes, high tear strength rubber molds and plastic
Rubber is Dow Corning HS II
Plastic is Alumilite Slow Cure.........water thin it will flow anywhere

Check the thread "Balsa Foam" for the wall stuff.

P

philip

this one

Which one looks the best????

Val: I think I'll do a thread on windows?? Same deal with tanks or anything else.

Attachments

• p1010017.jpg
    p1010017.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 84

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Beautiful Stonework!

Please enlighten us as to how you acheived the 3D effect on the upper-left corner of that stone wall. I've tried carving a flat piece of plaster, but the end result is always the same; a two-dimensional, obviously phony wall.

--> Does the original have to be assembled brick-by-brick to acheive the realistic look? I suppose that if one were going to cast lots of these walls, such a time intensive project could be well worth the investment.

--> I ask because this is one thing I really want to do a nice job of, as I expect to have a fair number of rough-cut stone retaining walls on my layout, as well as things like building foundations, culverts, etc.

P

philip

tanks and walls

Clark :
I like the white one which is new but still has defects. I cant get the bands on straight and the hooks are to small. I almost ruined the hook area when I drill the eyelets out.

Steve: That thing I'm carving on is foam that holds all the details unlike plaster. Its the best for use on large objects. MRR ran an article by Ron Morse on making walls a few months back. Great article and Ron used plaster and captured that 3d look. Guarantee he spent days carving those walls that ended up being a great small stone structure. He did another article on an O scale I think called Ron's Mercantile..a great o scale store with all the interior details. Like you said...a big area is great for those precast wall and a big money saver.
Check this link.......http://www.dickblick.com/zz331/11/products.asp?param=0

P

philip

wall finished

Watching TV tonight and carving away on this wall..............;)

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 52