Designing Cardmodels - Paragon Style

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Paragon, Dec 14, 2007.

1. edi

edi Member

Paragon,
    would be great, if you´ll do it again on a really simple example, the Tunnan isn`t one. I don`t use photoshop, it`s too expensive, I use the free gimp which is working similar, so, for example I`m able to use the layers now.

Hope, I don`t steal some of your time
  2. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

You mean you'd like me to create another tutorial on a simpler model?
  3. edi

edi Member

yes, would be nice; I think I`ve understood your way and method, but to get sure it would be very good.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am going to get this into the WIKI as an article too and into downloads for tutorials if you are ok with that Paragon.
    Chris
  5. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Sounds fine to me. If you print it to a PDF, I'd also like to include a copy on my website.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Will do :)
    Chris
  7. davis4559

davis4559 Member

Really great tutorial. I have started searching the net for 3-view drawings, simple ones just to get my feet wet. Alot of the drawings online tend not to have a bottom view. Only top front side. Is there a way to apply this technique without a bottom view?

Best
    John
  8. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

When I don't have a bottom view, I just make my own. I basically take the outline of the top view, and start tracing lines from the bottom of the side view onto it. For wings and other control surfaces, I just use the top twice. Its not incredibly accurate, but for models like mine, it suffices.
  9. davis4559

davis4559 Member

Thanks for the reply Paragon and the advice. By the way your models are amazing
  10. davis4559

davis4559 Member

hey Paragon,

I am really intrigued by this method of design. I really makes designing an easier process. It knocks off a few steps in traditional design (using 3d, unfolding and paint apps). I was wondering if you could post another example of how you do this type of design? maybe another model one a little simpler?

Have a great night
    John
  11. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Yeah, thats what edi asked for too. I'll have to find a subject that will be easy...

I'm willing to take suggestions.
  12. doctormax

doctormax Member

I am doing it the same way myself for this B52 I am doing. Taking a few days now but have the tail section done so far. I was looking at a model site and thought their B52 looked awful why I decided to go and do my own one in a decent colour.
  13. davis4559

davis4559 Member

Paragon how about a simple version of spaceshipone? i have attached a really simple 3-view layout for SS1

Attached Files:

14. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I suppose I could do that. I currently have plans to make some other models like the Beriev Be 200, but for something simple like this I suppose I could...

What is it in particular you want to learn from this walk-through? I really have already covered most of what would be involved in designing this one with the Tunnan walk-through, so I need to know what specifics to make sure to include.
  15. edi

edi Member

I think I´ve understood your method and last weekend I´gave it a try; it was the Reggiane 2000 an Italian WW2 fighter with the opinion to do also the Re-2001 (other motor).

So far, fuselage , wings are done, cockpit, nose are also ready (not on the photos) noseparts top and bottom are to be done, spinner hmm will borrow one...
    resource was:
    http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/re2000_3v.jpg

The problems (okay, I´m not very experienced in doing GIMP, I´ve only done some improvements of family photos):
    - I`ve separated the parts in different pages, adding them together to the
    right scale was an trial and error action, no concept....
    - no plan to get the colouring
    - glueing line of the fuselage parts is on the side not on top or bottom, except
    the rear part, but it works (know how to correct it, its some move,
    we`ll see)
    -have to rework the wing to fuselage section

all in all I´m satisfied, but stopped me building others :confused:

Attached Files:

16. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Well it looks good so far! I don't use GIMP, so I'm not familiar with the tools available. I highly recommend a layer-based image editing program personally. So far I only know of Photoshop, but I'm sure there are others that utilize layers out there, possibly that don't cost nearly as much, or are even free. I'll do a little research into it if you like.

I always scale the reference image to the size I think I'll want it before making the parts, that way they're all the correct scale relative to each other. As for scale of the entire model...I usually don't make them to scale, but all I need to do is find the wingspan and scale all the parts at once (by locking them to each other).
  17. edi

edi Member

in addition

Attached Files:

18. edi

edi Member

thanks for your answer :)
    GIMP is working the same way as photoshop, including the layers. So if you give some explanations it would also work in GIMP ( okay, maybe I`ve to look for the other names)
    Yes, about scaleing, I`ve understood, and next time I`ll have a plan:thumb:
    Colouring that`s the question the moment.....

Thx Paragon in advance

Edi
  19. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I looked at GIMP a little just now, at screenshots and the website, and it appears like it should be just as adept at designing as Photoshop.

As for coloring, remember always to use transparent backgrounds. Cut all the white out leaving only the black on a transparent background. Once you have the parts finished arrange them so none are overlapping, and merge them. Be careful to merge, not flatten, or you'll lose the transparency. Then duplicate that layer. Use the paintbucket and whatever other tools you need to color only one of those layers. Once the coloring is done, make sure the uncolored layer is on top, to reinforce the lines. You can add insignias and symbols beneath that upper layer.

Don't worry, I'll make a tutorial for that sometime...
  20. edi

edi Member

okay, I`ve tried the moment a little example and it works pretty fine,now I know the trick:thumb:
    A great THANKS to Paragon , who rocked designing cardmodels