decals

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by railroader9731, Jun 26, 2006.

1. railroader9731

railroader9731 Member

what would be the best way to remove decals off pasenger cars with out damaging the paint?
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Carefully! ;) :D

I think that a quick search might turn up some useful info. I think it was member "hminky" (Harold) that had a little tutorial about how to remove decals or stamp printing. It involved some careful sanding with 600 grit wet/dry paper among other things.

Andrwe
  3. railroader9731

railroader9731 Member

thanks mason i searched the web and found a pencil eraser works great. ok so a little elbow grease:D
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

depending on the make i have just soaked the car in soap and water for a time then the lettering will come off with a toothbrush(this has worked for me on Athearn and Rivarossi).
  5. railroader9731

railroader9731 Member

lima cars (cresent limited)
  6. trainman4

trainman4 Member

I've used pine-sol but it will also take the paint off if you leave the car in for long.
  7. itdincor

itdincor New Member

I'm new to this hobby, but have heard of something called Solvaset. Would this be useful in removing decals? I would like to remove decals from several newly bought locomotives, and of course cannot soak an electric motor.

As for the eraser: just any old soft eraser, or maybe an artist's type? As a newbie, I'm pretty much in the dark, here.
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You have to try different things. It is also a good idea to have some matching touch up paint on hand. The older Athearn trains used pad printing with ink for labels and numbers. Pad printed ink is pretty easy to disolve off with something like solvaset. Some models may actually be painted with paint, in which case you may need to go with the 600 grit wet or dry. Micro-Mark offers a flex file sander 600 grit part #60623 might be helpful for removing numbers if sanding is necessary. http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=60623