DCC Ready and Decoders/Sound questions

Kris

Dec 4, 2006
Hi guys... I have a question about DCC ready engines. I have a Rivarossi UP FEF and the new C&O Allegheny that are DCC ready. I'd like to install decoders and sound, but I'm not sure as to which decoders would be a good choice to use. Any suggestions?

And really, the entire prospect of installing sound has really got me rattled. For example, it's easy enough to see from the instructions that came with the FEF as to where to install the decoder... Getting to it is simple, but how in the world to make the entire thing fit is a real mystery.... And I haven't the slightest idea as to how to install the sound. Everything I've read pretty much has me spooked. In fact, I'm really leaning toward sending the engines away to have the stuff installed by someone else who knows what they are doing.

And to make matters worse, the FEF came with instructions... The Allegheny did not, and the pdf link is broke on Hornby's website. So, I have no idea how to even start with the Allegheny.

So, any suggestions... any at all... would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Kris

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Kris:wav: , i too have a Rivarossi FEF:thumb: . i put a Loksound decoder in it. the sound decoder fit where it is supposed to, but i had to take the boiler off and extend the speaker wires to run into the cab, its the closest place i could put the speaker. taking the boiler off was NOT FUN, so be warned, take it slow as to not break anything:winki: . honestly, i should have spent more time on it and run the speaker into the tender:eek:ops: .

as far as the Allegheny goes, once you find where the DCC plug in is, after doing the FEF it should be a breeze:winki: .
:deano: -Deano
fefdec.jpg

Kris

Dec 4, 2006
Thanks Deano... And I really appreciated the photo. You pretty much confirmed my fears. I figured that the boiler would have to be removed in order to put in the decoder,... speaker wiring would be oh so much fun. And yes... I quickly realized that opening the boiler would be a major pain. I definitely would break something.

Kris

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Kris:wav: , hey, i didn't want to discourage you from putting a sound decoder in:frowns: , i was just saying BE CAREFUL:winki: , the boiler has lots of fine parts that must be removed to take it apart.

if you were to just put a non sound decoder in it, it would be plug and play provided it fit in the sand cover:winki: . i ONLY use sound decoders, so taking the boiler off was a must to get the speaker wires to run to a place where the speaker would fit. unfortunately there is NO ROOM in the boiler for any kind of speaker:cry: . like i mentioned before, the sound is fine in the cab, but i should have took more time on it and ran the speakers in the tender:winki::eek:ops: .

Good luck in what ever you end up doing to those steamers:thumb::smilie: .
:deano: -Deano