curved turnouts

gjxj

Dec 13, 2005
First a more general question, how come this business has seemingly thousands of online retailers and not a single one of them provides any detailed specifications for the products?

Anyway, I see several makers of curved turnouts, walthers, peco..
does anyone have radii, lenght etc, recomendations..?

I'm running code 100 now but maybe its time to start transitioning to 83 so I'd be interested in info on either.

gjxj

Dec 13, 2005
yea thanks, thats a start. There don't seem to be any numbers for the code 100 though.
Is it safe to assume a #6 code 100 is similar to a 6-1/2 code 83?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I am willing to be proven wrong, but I don't believe Walters (Shinohara) makes Code 100. It is all Code 83. A lot of specs and diagrams in the Walters catalog.

Hope this helps.

L

lester perry

I have several Peco curved turnouts on my layout all code 100 and I love them. I also usually use the curved part of staright one as main line as I don't have much straight track on main of my layout. Too hard to keep straight track straight with temperature changes. As you can see in this pic if you look closely
100_0497.jpg

If you look closely from left track is Atlas main line is straight, goimg to a peco curve going left. The an Atlas left hand turnout mainlin going left straight side going to Peco double slip in the yard lead in tracks. Ignor the fat guy in the flannel shirt. He has lost some wieght since this.
Les

gjxj

Dec 13, 2005
there is whole line of Shinohara code 100 on the web site..but no specs, maybe it is new..

Anyway I found one more data point, they have a photo of the peco 'setrack' double curve which I blew up to scale and measured to be roughly 23" inside radius.
This will fit just right where I need it..any commnent on that? I gather the setrack is their low end line..but I'm not so concerned about the look as much as reliable operaiton.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I have just started setting up a switching layout (2.5'x8' on foam) and I love,LOVE the Peco switches. I'm using Atlas off a straight, and Pecos on curves. The code 100 Setrack switches are slightly larger radius than an Atlas 22" radius curve (23-24"??), and the inside track is slightly less (20-21"??). The tracks are longer than a 22" curve piece, so some cutting needs to be done somewhere. The Peco Streamline Electrofrog has its inside radius larger than the outside radius of the Setrack (25-26"??) and the outer track is maybe 30" or even larger?? Their positive locking action when you change tracks is great. The Atlas open up sometimes which lead to derailments.

A #6 switch is a #6 switch is a #6 switch in G O S HO N Z TT OO OOO or prototype. It is a measure of the angle and that doesn't change. But Atlas #4 switch (turnout) is really a 4.5, and their Wye turnout is (effectively) equivalent to a #6. The Peco three way is similar to Atlas #4 switches.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
gixi:
The dimensions of a #6 turnout are independent of the rail size; it measures the angle of separation at the frog -- 1 unit apart in 6 units along. Similarly for all other numbers. Going to the other end, things can vary a bit.
Curved turnouts with curved frogs don't have numbers as they can't be measured.
Peco have one of the worst websites going for a major manufacturer. I have their catalog and it does have info.
Setrack curved turnouts: #2 and #3 radius (British terms) or 17.25" and 19.875". Code 100 Insulfrog only.
Streamline Code 100 30" and 60" radius. Insulfrog and Electrofrog.
Streamline Code 75 30" and 60" radius. Electrofrog only.
Peco Small, Medium and Large radius turnouts are approx. 24", 36" and 60" radius. The frog angles are all 12 degrees. (both code 100 and code 75)
Setrack turnouts are 17.25".

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The Walthers code 83 turnouts are made by Shinohara, or were years ago. Shinohara code 70 and 100, and Walthers code 83 turnouts are all likely to be exactly the same for a given size. Regarding the curved turnouts, Walthers (again, from several years ago) made many more sizes available in code 83 than Shinoharo was apparently willing to do in codes 100 and 70. I needed a certain size curved turnout which was only available in code 83. This for use in hidden staging where I was otherwise using code 100. I simply placed a sheet of styrene of appropriate thickness under the code 83 turnout to get the railheads to match. Anyway, while I was searching for which curved turnout would fit best into my needs, I found the small printed templates of the turnouts in the Walthers catalog. I copied them to HO scale and used them to determine which I needed. It worked. And while doing so I discovered the above, that Walthers and Shinohara curved turnouts were identical.

gjxj

Dec 13, 2005
Thanks, that is really where I started above, the #angles are different between the
"shinohara" 100 and the "walthers (made by shinohara)" 83 stuff, and the angle is all they give for the code 100. I dont want to assume a #6 here is the same as a #6-1/2 there..
Anyway, the peco looks like it will work just fine. Thanks all!

L

lester perry

phoneguy said:
Lester he's not fat he just has too many shirts on. nice layout.
He is me and he has lost some wieght even with the holidays. I know this is off topic guys but the original was on topic. ;)
Les

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
FWIW Peco do full-size templates for all their trackwork. For UK listers it will cost you a phone call to their tech dept. Not sure about the rest of the world - unless you know somebody in UK who can scan and send.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands