Crossings - How Do You Handle 'Em

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
How do you build up the track crossings on your layout? All the roads on mine are asphalt, and I've used several products from black sandpaper to adhesive-backed roadways. Fact is, almost most anything looks fine as a roadway - until you get to the tracks. Espicially on curves, how do you model a good looking crossing that looks high enough for vehicles to pass over, but not high enough to interfere with the trains as they go over in Nscale?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Have you tried the Blair Line grade crossings? I don't personally use them but I am going to get them for my N scale layout I am starting. For my HO, I use spakeling past and simply biuld it up right to the rail and in between the track and then come back after it has dried and score out the rail car paths.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I've used thin plastic, wood strips and ScaleCrete, the latter of which I will never use again. I've never really been happy with any of the results I've gotten but so far "it'll have to do."

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
In my home town the grade crossings, even on older roads, have been fully reworked with concrete 'inserts' framed in angle iron. There is a piece between the rails and one on each side for the approach. Every crossing is smooth and requires minimal maintainence. Probably just a simple cleaning out occationally. I don't know how I'd model that, but maybe something similar is the way to go on a model, rather than using "road material". Perhaps gray styrene. I don't know if that fits your era, or if it's any easier, but seems like it could be both :)

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks for the ideas guys...I'm going to build up some areas using vinyl joint compound, adding a drainage pipe beneath the roadway in an area that spans two sets of tracks and see how it works. Hopefully it won't take too long to dry. If it's easy (for me) to work with, I'll use it on the grades.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks! I'll have to check out that issue. I'm still employing the method of "do it first, then find out how to do it later"...probably would be easier to learn the right way right off bat before jumping in with both feet.

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
I have mostly seen balsa wood used in straight sections. Though my experience with curved sections, I'm sure that thin balsa wood bent to fit and glued together would work just fine, using clamps/support to glue them in place is a necessity, however. Not sure if that'll help but I hope it will, enjoy.