CP Rail's Christmas Train - 2005

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
CP Rail's Christmas trains starts out from Montreal next Friday, December 2nd. By December 17th, it will have travelled all across Canada and a large part of the USA that is served by CP/Soo Line.

It's first overnight stop is in Smiths Falls with a scheduled arrival on Friday, December 2nd, of 10:30 pm. On Saturday, December 3rd, late in the afternoon, the train splits in two with one part heading for Toronto and the US and the other part heading north towards Sudbury and Vancouver. The two trains join again at Moose Jaw, Sask.

To see the train in Smiths Falls, simply follow the signs to the VIA station.

In connection with the Christmas train, the Smiths Falls Railway Museum will be open on Friday, December 2nd, from 12 noon to 9pm, and on Saturday from 9am to 4:30 pm.

For more information as to when the train will be visiting your community, click on this link.
http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/General+Public/Holiday+Train/default.htm

The purpose of the Christmas train is to raise the awareness and highlight the needs of local food banks. Since its launch in 1999, the Christmas train has collected 378 tons of food and more than $1.9 million for food banks. In 2004, 165 tons of food and $375,000 was donated.

In addition to the food and funds donated by visitors to the train, CP Rail also makes cash donations to local food banks along the way with all donations remaining in that community for distribution.

Perhaps we can take photos of the train(s) as it passes through each community across Canada and the US and post them here at The Gauge.

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
:( i'll be at work when it comes to my town i wish i had the night off so i could get some pic's as it passes over my house

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
It was going to stop in my hometown but they changed it to stop somewhere else instead, so I won't be taking my daughters to see it at all. :(

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
A further update on the schedules for CP Rail's Christmas trains.

On Friday, December 2nd, 2005, tomorrow, the Canadian train with engine 9713 will leave Beaconsfield at 18:45, arrive Smiths Falls 2215 for its event from 22:15-23:00. It will stay in the Smiths Falls yard overnight. It will leave Smiths Falls for Carleton Place at 16:45 on December 3rd, and will overnight in the storage track at Almonte.

On Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, the US train with unit 9714 is due to leave St. Luc at 08:00, arrive Smiths Falls 11:05, depart 13:30 for its first showing in Belleville.

The Smiths Falls Railway Museum will be open Friday night, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. Why not drop by and visit with us.

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
AAaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I was on my usual Saturday trip out to Smiths Falls. The Ottawa-bound VIA train was waiting on Track 2 for the arrival of the Toronto-bound VIA train. The Christmas train was parked on Track 5 or 7. I pulled out my digital camera, slid back the lens cover and took aim. I had the shot all nicely lined up. I pressed the shutter. Nothing! The G%!@#$%^&* rechargeable battery decided to die right at that moment as both VIA trains crossed along the line of sight of the Christmas train.

Oh well, here's a shot of the US-bound train getting ready to leave Montreal on Wednesday evening that a friend sent to me. Enjoy!

Attachments

• CPRail9714-Montreal.jpg
    CPRail9714-Montreal.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 80