couplers

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I'm wondering which is the favorite among our little group? Also how does one recognize each type? I seem to have almost no uncoupling problems with the old couplings but with the new kato mini's have had several in the last operating session alone. Thanks Pat:confused:I model in N scale.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What scale? I'm modeling ho in a modular club. We frequently will run some long trains, and have found that the KD's work best.
The various KD knock offs all seem to use a plastic leaf spring to hold the knucle closed, and when you put a load on it, the knucles will open and uncouple. I bought a Bachmann Spectrum consolidation at a GAT show, and wanted to run it right away, so I used the standard Bachmann couplers. We were doing some switching with it and never pulling more than 6-8 freight cars and a caboose, and in a couple of hours the couplers started to "stretch." When I got home from the show, it got KD's.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
In HO, Kadee. Not the "scale" ones, they don't have enough coupler face to survive the "bumps" every four feet on the modular layout.
In N, Micro Trains.
In both cases, I clip the pins, except for the cars I intend to give away, when visiting home layouts.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Kadees...reliable, cheap and metal...uncoupled with a long toothpick dropped between the knuckles (keeping my eye peeled for the old Rix Pix non'magnetic tool---the magnetic one I have keeps grabbing the steel railing on my fleet). Still debating the clipped pin thing that seems to be going around.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
In HO I like the KDs, Allthough I use a wide variety. From the horn hooks to devore and some I have no idea what they are.

A bit off the subject but, Who can give me some info on some of these antique HO couplers.

In N scale mostly I use the Rapido Only because converting to MT isn't in the budget "yet" .

O and G gauge, I use the original manufactures couplers.

1.5 scale I use th castings from Miller backyard railroad.

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Coupler Preferences

I model in HO and have used Kadees exclusively for many years. I use their regular line on most of my equipment, but use their #711 on my logging equipment.

I was working in a hobby shop when many of the newer brands made their respective debuts. Our N Scale customers were mostly modular and used Micro-Trains almost exclusively. Our veteran HO Scalers stuck with Kadee, but quite a few newer customers went for the McHenry and the Bachmann. Some of the HO couplers hit the market and worked fine ... for about eight months when customers began to complain of centering problems and erratic operation. I do not know which particular mfgr. was involved, but I do recall that at least one changed the type of plastic they employed around mid-2000. The plastic centering springs fatigued on the old ones, hence the erratic operation.

If I stay on top of my maintenance, my Kadees perform flawlessly as long as my turnouts function well and the vertcal easements on my grades are smooth. I hope this helps you, Belg.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by belg
I'm wondering which is the favorite among our little group? Also how does one recognize each type? I seem to have almost no uncoupling problems with the old couplings but with the new kato mini's have had several in the last operating session alone. Thanks Pat:confused:I model in N scale.

N scalers, please correct me if I'm wrong: I believe most N scalers will agree MT is the best, but not the least expensive. They split off from Kadee and carry a similar reputation. IMHO: If you're new to the game, Belg, best to go with the best now, rather than trying to catch up later, after the obsession has taken over your life and you need to upgrade 10,000 teeny tiny couplers.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Belg,

I recommend switching over to MT's as more and more locos and other equipment are coming equipped with either MT's or MT compatible couplers such as Atlas' Accumates. It can be an expensive proposition and can produce "wallet-shock" if done in large amounts at one time. I would also recommend that you equip one or two (or more) of your cars with MT's on one end and Rapidos on the other to act as "conversion cars" until you have switched over. Conversion kits are available for most, if not all, N scale locos plus, MT manufactures several different kinds of trucks with couplers attached to make replacement easier. If you want to preserve your sanity... don't buy the couplers "unassembled"... pay the extra and get them ready to install, no assembly required!:D

Dick

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Conversion cars

I suggest that you use a baggage car for one of the conversion cars. That way, you can put it between the loco and the train, depending on which you convert first, and you'll have a car for testing new locos that you haven't converted yet. An express reefer would be good too, and you can use it in freight trains.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
So the consensus seems to be MT couplers is there one unit that will do most cars? Most of my cars are atlas and kato. I will definately buy the prebuilt units but was wondering what could I expect to pay for them in bulk pack and what is the cheapest place to get them?
Pat

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
chart??

I remember hearing someone say something about a chart that tells you which MT trucks go with which locos and cars,but don't remember where it was any help would be great?