Cork...

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
Hello guys,

Sorry about beeing away during these days.. Some prbs with my internbet connection.. cable..

well, meanwhile, i've a cork sheet underneath my track. i mean, i have a cork with 2' by 4' on a layoyrt with 2' by 4'.. know what i mean?

Have i made a mistake doing this? or is it crrect? i saw it on continental modeller magazine....

What do you guys think?

Xaniel, if I understand you correctly, you have a 2' X 4' piece of cork sheet (presumably on top of a 2' X 4' piece of plywood or other rigid material) that has your track attached to it. I don't see anything wrong with this arrangement. Several years ago, I experimented with 1' square cork tiles. They worked well; the only trouble was, it was expensive trying to cover a large area.

You don't state the thickness of your cork sheeting, but obviously the thicker the cork, the better the "noise deadening" properties will be. The cork tiles I mentioned were (if I remember correctly) 3/8" thick.

In the end, though, the right way is the one with which you are comfortable. I learned a long time ago there are only a few situations in which there is actually a "right" way to do things in this hobby. Everything else is just "another way" to accomplish something. And almost all of them work just fine.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Luis - The cork should work fine for sound-deadening. The only problem I see is in modelling the roadbed for the areas that aren't in a yard. Generally, the non-yard tracks are elevated about 1/4" or so (in N scale) above the surface.