cookie cutter vs. L girder...

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Good day everyone....
Well now I really got myself into a pickle:rolleyes: I started constructing the L girder bench style and now want to consider cookie cutter. It seems that the cookie cutter method looks alot easier and less work. Is there anyone that can tell me the pro's and cons of the two different methods?
Your reply will be greatly appreciated!!!
Best Rgd's,
NCMRailroad:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I think you might get a lot of response to that question. Everyone has their favorite methods. I went with cookie cutter because it seemed easier to me.
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The two methods are not incompatible. You can support the cookie cutter top with the L girder underneath. All you lose is the ability to drop the scenery below table-top height, and you can even cut into the boards to do that.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Why?...

...can't you support the frame of the L and cookie cutter? I can see it in muh head! In fact, I've considered it. Unless of course we're talking about 3 different things? You might wanna beef up the support but, I think it can be done. 'nother words- yeah, what 60103 said.

Geesh I wish I had a chalk board- (Note to Admin: Make chalk {white} board so we can draw stuff and make cartoons!!!

Mark:wave:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
They are both compatible as David said. Looking thru the earlier Model Railroader mags from the late 60s and early 70s, as well as older publications like "Scenery for Model Railroads" and "HO Primer" (both easily found on Ebay) will carry you thru as most later publications tend to favor the foam methods.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
thanks..

shaygetz said:
They are both compatible as David said. Looking thru the earlier Model Railroader mags from the late 60s and early 70s, as well as older publications like "Scenery for Model Railroads" and "HO Primer" (both easily found on Ebay) will carry you thru as most later publications tend to favor the foam methods.
Thank you for your reply... I will definatly give'r a shot!
:cool: