Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VII

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by N Gauger, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Morning all. Yes Jeffrey. Seems we have forgotten. Use to be a big day. Can't believe AMC and TMC are not running WWII war movies. Maybe later. Guess I will watch In Harms Way today [DVD]. Got Christmas parade at 2. Open convertable is not good with wind and cold. Cough Cough
  2. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Jeffrey, I think a large portion of the population does not have a clue about what happened on this day 67 years ago. Thanks for posting the reminder. I was only 3 years old but I remember all of the excitement at the time like it was yesterday. It was all anyone talked about for a long time.
  3. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

It makes me wonder sometimes what they teach in history classes anymore. My niece is a college graduate with a 4.0 GPA from both high school and college and she doesn't have any idea what the significance of Dec 7th is.
  4. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I think you guys may be right....I've been watching some football on & off throughout the afternoon, and I haven't heard the commentators, or anyone for that matter, even mention the significance of this day....Sad indeed.....
  5. sir james

sir james Member

DECEMBER 07,1941, I remember, and as long as god allows me to have a memory I will remember.
  6. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

ouch!!!!!
  7. N Gauger

Yeah - Only the news people are mentioning it :( :(
  8. Brutus

Brutus Member

I've got one friend who was telling his son that WWII was in like 1900 or something. I corrected him and got a big ole pile of attitude from the Dad, though the boy seemed interested to know about it.

Back from KC and had a nice visit with family. Glad to be home, though!
  9. N Gauger

Oh Mannnn :( Not good...

LOL Was ti over when the germans Bombed Pearl Harbor??? !! Animal House

My uncle was at hickum Field - He said it was unreal the way the first wave happened - way too fast!
  10. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Good night all. Had great Christmas parade. Was windy and cold. 40 degrees which was 15 degrees below normal for us. Sleep tight.
  11. CSXect

CSXect Member

:wave: Good night everyone

A day that will live in infamy:curse:

My fathers oldest brother died in the pacific we have the 48 star flag from his casket, of 5 brothers my dad is the only one that was not in the service too young for WWII and was rejected in Korean war as he had a heart defect due to a childhood illness, yet he is still around and the others have died off due to heart illnesses.

Does anyone know where to find a good quality flag case I have seen some in the junk catalogs but they did not look very good. Maybe Hobby lobby might have one:confused:
  12. jeffrey-wimberl

Some people use attitude and aggression to cover their ignorance which of course is like waving a big red flag and shouting 'DUMMY HERE!'.
  13. jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 42 and partly cloudy. The high should be in the mid 60's and it will still be partly cloudy.

Didn't do much yesterday. I repainted my old Walther's Midtown Consolidators shipping building. It is now white brick with green window frames and has a couple of 'broken' windows. I also moved a colonial style house from the spot it has occupied for the last 6 years and placed a small Cape Cod style house there. It looks better in the small space. The colonial has been relocated to the larger spot the Cape Cod was moved from. I also applied L&A decals to some rolling stock and one of my 250 ton cranes as well as a truck trailer.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/8/2008

Wind Chill: 39°F
    Humidity: 83%
    Dew Point: 38°F

So Far Today
    High: 43°F
    Low: 41°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 7mph SSE

Today High: 68 Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Warmer. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

[​IMG]
  14. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Good morning folks

It was a cold 19 F as I headed out this morning. High today will be 34 F.

We got the Christmas tree this weekend. We have it about 90% decorated. We also did some Christmas shopping.

I cleaned up the workbench and got things ready for the next project. I just need to choose what it is.

I hope everybody has a good day.
  15. CSXect

CSXect Member

:wave:

Good morning it stopped snowing some time last night:thumb:

Still on the Job hunt.
  16. jeffrey-wimberl

I came across a real idiot today. He was trying to tell me that it takes a minimum of 30 minutes for a mobile home to burn down. Now, I'm a professionally trained fire fighter with 12 years of experience and I've seen only one mobile home that wasn't on the ground within 8 minutes of catching fire, most within 5 minutes. Where do these fools come from?
  17. CSXect

CSXect Member

Some people just like to hear themselves would be my guess:confused:

Just came home from the dentist hamr the only pain was the bill:mrgreen: glad no work needed to be done.
  18. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

Got into the 40's today. I hope tomorrow is the same, I have to go to Indianapolis for a meeting.
  19. jeffrey-wimberl

I'm hoping Wednesday afternoon is dark and cloudy. So far doesn't look like it will be. I have to to Alexandria Wednesday morning for a three hour eye exam. Those sun shield strips just don't block enough light.
  20. sir james

sir james Member

Good evening, it stayed below freezing all day today, but rain and 40 tomorrow. Then of course back down again. Not to much training today but I did fuss with them some. Have a good tomorrow....S.J.