Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Good night all. Slept through a movie on TCM. Now off to bed. Meds must be working. Did get all the leaves out of the front and side gutter. Got up leaves on side and front. Also sucked them up on back concrete pad. Tomorrow, put up yard lights for Christmas, do back yard leaves and then do backyard decorations. Big thing is, pecan leaves still on the trees. Means more to get up later. Usually on the ground by now. This means it hasn't been that cold yet.

John F, you got turnnips? BTW: fires bring rumors. Especially if the person comes out to the better. Same here with the last house fires [one set the other]. The one it started in, owners suddenly got a lot of new big things. Causes rumors.

Off to bed.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I saw several reports on the Amtrak wreck and was appalled by the poor reporting. They called the car that the Amtrak train hit a boxcar. It was a container in a well car. Sad that the media doesn't know what a boxcar looks like. Makes you wonder what else they have reported wrong.

I was relieved to see that there were no life-threatening injuries.

dbaker48

Jul 4, 2006
Cerritos, Ca.
We actually had RAIN today. Our rain gutters are over a year old, the first time they have been wet. And they work! Now some of the canyons that had fires earlier this month and are now under mandatory evacuation due to potential mudslides. Your probably aware over 50 homes were lost last weekend in Malibu due to fires. Been one tough fire year, now the sliding, next the quakes.

Got some great news today!! My Big Boy is already on the way back, guess they had enough and didn't need mine anymore. Said something about a secret upgrade, I wonder what it is??? Also got work from MTH, they are sending me a speaker and replacement pickup rollers for my AC4000. We will be back to full strength before long.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

John was the buiding destroyed?

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Plenty of time for trains this weekend for us Midwesterner's this weekend, around a foot of snow to fall where I am. Great weather for stayin in and working with trains.

kpolak

Nov 16, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Here's a photo of the Superstreets, with the Woodland Scenics foam roadbed I'm using for the vehicle traffic. Roadbed is the same thickness as the Superstreets. Sound is about the same as tubular, with audible clickity clacks.

Note: The center connecting pins are removable, and need to be relocated when attaching the transition pieces.

Kurt

Attachments

• Superstreet and road-1.JPG
    Superstreet and road-1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 12

mitchelr

Nov 19, 2007
Gettyburg, PA
Morning to All,

Nice lazy morning here. Just relaxing with a cup of coffee. Will go out later for haircut, then play with some trains. Have to dig out my nephews Christmas presents. He is getting a loop of FasTrack with a 1033 transformer and some boxcars, a caboose, and a C&O Steamer. He's just 1 y.o. and too young to actually run the trains, but I know he will love the action. Daddy and Mommy will have to control the throttle.

Have a great day.

Mitch

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/1/2007

Wind Chill: 48°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 48°F

So Far Today
High: 53°F
Low: 49°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph E

Today High: 72 Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy. Warmer. Areas of dense fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds around 10 mph.

P1010002-25.jpg

Oct 2, 2005
S.E Ohio
Good Morning...............
It is a cold 22 degrees. Clear skies. Going up to 41, today with some sunshine.
Today is a normal day. Busy around the house. This afternoon, I will work on the layout and run trains.
Wife has taken over all of the household duties, that she had, again. ( thank goodness ).
Everyone have a nice day,
Chuck

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Morning all. Cold here. Warming some. More leaves to do. Decorations to do. Want to go to Miss Edna's for a few minutes. Remembered I have 4X8 board on casters under shelter [Frankie's old HO layout board]. Think I will screw down some extra Realtrax and give to the kid that came by this week [one being raised by Grandparents]. Give him another engine and some cars. Have a good one.

spankybird

OTTS Founder
May 13, 2005
Willoughby, Ohio, USA
Good Morning All from NE Ohio

where the temp is 23 deg with Clear Blue Skies that will be giving way to rain later tonight. :mrgreen:

We have been down with a cold this past week, seems to be mostly gone now. So things slowed now on the new construction at the museum.

Here is a pic from a week ago.

47b7cf36b3127cce985489af742400000037101AaNGjRm0Ysd

47b7cf36b3127cce985489ad742600000037101AaNGjRm0Ysd

and today

47b7cf08b3127cce985489877b1000000027101AaNGjRm0Ysd

47b7cf08b3127cce985489857b1200000027101AaNGjRm0Ysd

csxt30

Sep 30, 2005
Good Morning Everyone !! Main job today is change oil in the car, yuk !! Next job is to get that tether down in there on my new eng.
Kurt : your Super streets look great !! I love those little manhole covers to hide the screws too .
Chuck : you can hang up your apron now !!
Hope all have a good day !!
Thanks, John

Jonadel

Nov 16, 2007
Iowa
Tom--

Your progress is outstanding, very impressive:thumb: You folks are using some serious lumber in your construction, way to go.

I really want to tear my layout down and start all over and do one last build. We have enjoyed this layout immensely but it's time to plan the next one, perhaps one more year on the current setup. My next empire will have a subway, the EL, and at least two raised levels. I hope the major emphasis will be a mountain lumber operation.
Fun to dream:yep:

Jon

dbaker48

Jul 4, 2006
Cerritos, Ca.
As Christmas is upon us, and gift giving. Thought I would pass this on for SAFETY.

Stun Gun, Pocket Taser Stun Gun, a great gift for the wife.

A guy who purchased his lovely wife a pocket Taser for their anniversary submitted this:

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop that sparked my interest.

The occasion was our 22nd Anniversary, and I was looking for a little something "extra"
for my wife.
I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized taser. The effects of the taser

were supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on the assailant,
allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety....WAY TOO COOL!

Long story short, I bought the device, and brought it home. I loaded two triple-A batteries

in the thing, and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed.

I learned, however, that if I pushed the button AND pressed it against a metal surface

at the same time; I'd get the blue arc of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs.
Awesome!!!

Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to the Wife what that burn spot is on the face of her microwave.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all THAT bad,

with only two triple-A batteries, right?!!! There I sat in my recliner with my cat, Gracie looking on
intently (trusting little soul) while I was reading the directions, and thinking that I really needed

to try this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target.

I must admit, I thought about zapping Gracie, (for only a fraction of a second) and then thought

better of it. She's such a sweet cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect herself
against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised.

Am I wrong?

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top, with my reading glasses perched delicately

on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, and taser in another.. The directions said that
a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was
supposed to cause muscle spasms, and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst

would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water. Any burst
longer than three seconds would just be wasting the batteries.

All the while, I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5" long, less than 3/4 inch in

circumference; (pretty cute really, and loaded with two little bitty, itsy, bitsy triple-A batteries)
thinking to myself, "NO possible way!"

What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best.

I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head cocked to one side as if to say,

"Don't do it master," reasoning that a one-second burst from such a tiny little ole thing
couldn't POSSIBLY hurt all that bad...

I decided to give myself a one-second burst, just for the heck of it. I touched the prongs

to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WEAPONS OF MASS
DESTRUCTION @!@$$!%!

I'm pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me up in the recliner,

then body slammed us both on the carpet, over, and over, and over, and over again.

I vaguely recall waking up on my side, in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes,

body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, testicles nowhere to be found, with my left arm
tucked under my body in the fetal position, and tingling in my legs.

The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before, licking

my face, and undoubtedly thinking to herself, "do it again, do it again!"

Note: If you ever feel compelled to "mug" yourself with a taser, one note of caution:

there is NO SUCH THING as a "one-second burst" , when you zap yourself. You will not
let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor.
A three second burst would be considered conservative.
SON-OF-A-%#&**%#... that hurt!!!

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at that point),

I collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up, and surveyed the landscape.
My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. (How did they up get there???)
My triceps, right thigh, and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot

up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs.

I'm still looking for my testicles.

I'm offering a significant reward for their safe return.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Found out the hard that tazers are nothing to play around with did ya? I got zapped with one of those things a few years ago by a guy who's a practical joker. I wonder if he enjoyed the Ex-Lax cake I sent him?

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Good morning gang,

I wallpapered two rooms this morning, taking a break before starting the third. They are about 12 X 14. Guess I should mention that those dimensions are INCHES. Still working on the dollhouse project. :mrgreen:

Chief, Why are you asking about turnip? Did I miss something? Anyway I haven't raised any for a few years. I'm the only one who eats them.

Well back to work on the house.

Good evening from Buckeyeland, where sleet is hitting the pavement tonight.

This morning, Mrs. Buckeye and I awoke and found a surprise on our blue spruce tree. We had been TPed during the night. Needless to say the kids hit the wrong house. sign1 The little high school girl next door, the assumed victim, helped clean up the paper.

Put the lights outside for Christmas today. Everything worked!!:excited1:

Train show tomorrow in Springfield, OHIO. :thumb:

Doug, our cat does not bother the tree. My daughter's cat has been known to make a mess of a tree. She like the ornaments that looked like birds.

Still looking for a Lionel Extension Bridge.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
John F, you are my gardening and grits eating Yankee. Figured you did them.
Posted this on CTT and usually don't copy and paste but tired and lots of typing.

Long day. Went to Miss Edna's. Ran MP E6's They are great as MTH. Sounds for engines are OK. Horns are blaaa. The passenger station sounds are outstanding. Pulls in, announces train, hear them offering to help with their bags, conductor calling train and then clearing it for track to leave St. Lewis for Cincinnati. They are new. Front A unit had been test run but only minor signs on wheels and traction tires. B and other powered A had no signs of being run. Guys are trying to tell me to keep them. Big long train when all three are coupled together. Got leaves out of back gutters and all the outside Christmas decoration and their lights up. Lighted buck and doe in one corner of front yard with spiral Christmas tree. Angel in the other corner of front yard Lighted Frosty on front porch roof, lighted trees at one corner of the house and next to them are lighted Christmas presents stacked and being guarded by a lighted blow up penguin. Santa train lighted on back roof. ENOUGH.
Took advice from others and its back to 4X6 and 031 Reatrax fits it just right. Curves, 10" straight, curves, 30" straight and 5" straight and then curves and all over again like that on the rest of the layout. Got him a lighted lockon so they can see the power. Going to give him an engine that smokes and tender with whistle. Got some cars for him and a caboose. Hope to deliver it tomorrow after Christmas parade [got my wave down pat [^]]
Dinner time.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Evening, or good morning on my side. Bought a Christmas tree and lights on Thursday, put it up. Don't have a train to run around it, so just put my three O scale wagons in front of it. First time I've had a train under a tree.

Well, I'm actually off to bed- it's 01h45 in the morning, got back from work an hour ago. Goodnight...

Status
Not open for further replies.