Closing web site

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by stripes, Dec 31, 2006.

1. stripes

stripes Member

Well I have to reorganize and have closed down modelrailstructures.
    I will continue to go to local train shows and sell Building blocks through mail order.
    I am selling some detail parts and structures on ebay!
    My ebay id is ; modelrailstructures
    Thank you,
    David
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Aw. :(
    I had you bookmarked for when we started getting ready for my daughter's layout. :(
  3. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Mind if I ask why? I have visited your site several times. I liked it.
  4. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

David, I'm gonna have to buy some of those blocks soon!
  5. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

David, are you no longer going to be selling stuff? I too have you bookmarked. I have to finish the bench and such before I can order anything. Bummer!
  6. stripes

stripes Member

As I said, I am going to reorganize! The web site was costing me $52.00 a month and I was not selling enough to even support the site, never mind keep up with inventory.
    I will still be in the forums, and will probably do some form of newletter and mail order business. The blocks are something I will defanatly keep up with.
    David
  7. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Dang $52!? Maybe you shoudl just stick to making eBay auctions once a month or something?
  8. spyder62

spyder62 New Member

Sorry to hear that David but know the feeling. I'm still tring to get the work in to pay off the laser
    rich
    rslaserkits
  9. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Wow, $52.00?

You are with the wrong ISP there David. My company website is only $28.00 per month and I get 50GB of space for that.
  10. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

David, do you still have stock? I wanted some stuff! :)
  11. JAyers

JAyers Member

To be honest, you probably aren't pulling in enough bandwidth to be costing more than $5-10 a month. I agree, check with a2.com, I have my website there and it cost about $3.99 a month, and that's with PHP, MySQL and other software goodies.
  12. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Stripes, try google pages it is free. :)
  13. stripes

stripes Member

Web Site

I still have all my inventory, except what is selling on ebay at the moment. I also have kept the domain name so that when I found a provider that was reasonably priced I could continue. I will show my wife the sites you guys recomended, but from what I have seen, (Yahoo, Paypal, etc..) all charge lots of $ for ecommerce sites.
    The website http://www.modelrailstructures.com is still active as a page under construction and has all my contact info. I am just trying to find a less expensive way of doing business, so all of us can reap a benefit. I even was thinking about some form of buying CO-OP?? Who knows???
    Will keep everyone informed as I progress and any sugestions are welcome!
    THIS IS MY HOBBY, so no matter what I am not going anywhere. LOL

And as I told my wife when I started! If this stuff don`t sell, I`m going to have one heck of a layout!:thumb:

David
  14. Will_annand

David, there are a couple of local shows coming up.

Sorry I missed the Sudbury show last year.
    Will we see you in Barrie on Feb 17-18, or in Midland on May 26-27?
  15. stripes

stripes Member

Yes you will!

I am only trying to organize and offer better prices! I will be at Lindsay, Midland and Bracebridge in 2007!
    For now my consentration will be on offering better prices and cutting down on my expenses. For example, IF I can eliminate the high cost that Yahoo was charging me, and focus on the building blocks, by using a simple mail order system and a newsletter, I should be able to reduce the cost of a one lb. bag of blocks from $8.49 down to $6.49
    As you know, our shipping costs here in Canada are higher than the states, and as of the first of the year Canada Post had a price increase!
    Anyway, The "Stucco Coating" and "Building Blocks" will always be available. The other products that I was importing from the States, and then most of the time ,shipping back down there are being eliminated, Plus I can not compete with the big discount ecommerce sites.
    Bear with me guys! LOL.
    David

PS, Will, who is your site provider??
  16. Will_annand

David, I am in Hunstville on Cogeco high speed, Cogeco are hosting the site for me. You can have anyone host your site. To get the Paypal link up, you need a Paypal account, I am not sure how much that is. You might want to ask Rich (spyder62) about Paypal. I redid Rich's site and am currently administrating both my site and RSlaser Kits site.
  17. stripes

stripes Member

Ok, after spending several hours on the phone with great folks like Will and Spyder62 I think I can have another site up and running within a few days! Building Blocks, and Stucco Coating, plus detail parts are going to be my main products. I will limit the amount of structures I sell, and there will be no tutorials or ground covers, litchen etc.. ! But it will cut down on my bandwith and I can offer better pricing!!!!
    Thank you for the great emails I have recieved, and especially to Will and Rich for there advice!!
    aussie

David
    modelrailstructures
  18. Will_annand

You are most welcome David. Always like to help keep a Canadian business up and running. Escpecially one with such a caring owner.

Thanks for sticking around.
  19. spyder62

spyder62 New Member

Hey David just keep after it . It will work out in the end, I hope on this end also have that laser to pay off before I make a dime.
    rich
    rslaserkits.com
  20. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

Let me know what that site will be. I should be about ready when you are. :)