circuit diagram

craigy

Sep 19, 2003
uk
Visit site
Hi.

I bought a hornby train set and have now got some old trains. My problem is that the hornby controllers have a cut off at about 300mA.

These older trains seem to run for a while then just stop. I have traced the fault to the contoller.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram that I could use to build my own controller to give out more than 300mA. Maybe around 1A or so?

Thanks very much

Craig

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi Craig and welcome to the-gauge!

You acn find DC controllers and pulse width modulated DC here . Mikey (N-gauger) found this site, which has loads of circuits on it.

Also you might look for an old MRC throttle. They're a dime a dozen.

All of this assumes the train runs on DC, if it's AC, these ideas won't work well. I don't know what hornby's run on.

Could it be the trains are drawing more current than they should and after a while things get warm and shut down? Perhaps a good clean up, inspection, and light lube job would get the old gals running hard again.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Craig:
I note you're in the UK. Are the "older" trains old Triang or Hornby Dublo?
You might want to look for an older Triang or Hornby Dublo power pack. The older packs may not have the fine control for newer locos, but the do have the oomph for the old ones. You should think about 1 amp for
each old loco.
You will need a transformer to drop the mains current down to 14-16 volts before the throttle.

craigy

Sep 19, 2003
uk
Visit site
train

hi again. the hornby run off 240 ac and give out a variable voltage of 24V i think.

i have had a quick look at the circuits but some of these are very complicated.!!!!

i just need a circuit that will give me a few Amps so i can run a few trains or I might double up the power supply so i can run 2 at once.

thanks