Christmas tree layout

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
I was going to say somthing alike to what dave said;) , but kids will be kids:mad: , and nothing you can realy do about it. just enjoy them both :D , in differant parts of the house. have a merry christmas, and forget about the train under the tree for this year, and maybe next year the wrecking co,:D :D will take the hollidays off and you can have a speical running under your tree.:thumb: ....have a good one..(what ever you do)..steve

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
docsnavely said:
Anyone out there who has/ have had toddlers around their tree know how to keep the kids from turning the setup into a big Godzilla festival? If you do please let me know because I'm planning on keeping the trains in the train room only for another year or two:( -doc

Actually, my newly installed, coiled razor wire fence adds a surprizingly festive, silver tinsel like air to my garden... ;)

This helps...I've placed my train mounted video camera in the mix. The children are so fascinated with the picture on the TV that they prefer it over watching the layout..oy, gevald!

Attachments

• DSCF0935.JPG
    DSCF0935.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 106

3phase

Nov 12, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
www.suprhost.com
shaygetz said:
Actually, my newly installed, coiled razor wire fence adds a surprizingly festive, silver tinsel like air to my garden... ;)

This helps...I've placed my train mounted video camera in the mix. The children are so fascinated with the picture on the TV that they prefer it over watching the layout..oy, gevald!

I have one of thoes, now i know what to do with it!!

cammera.jpg

What have i been doing with it.....

When she says watch the oven while i go out for more butter, i duck tape it to the celling aiming at the oven, plug the reciever in my T.V card in my computer and watch the oven on the computer while i work on the layout!!

Oh yeah, on holloweene, tape it just outside the door so i can see who is knocking.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
3phase said:
I have one of thoes, now i know what to do with it!!

I normally have it mounted in the nose of a Mantua F7. For Christmas, I have it mounted with poster mounting putty and aimed toward the inside of the garden. On a large screen TV, the approaching trains can be quite startling.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
sheygetz,
The only thing I think you may have forgoten:confused: is the armed gaurds, but then I figure you may have to feed them.:D :D :D ...have a good one..steve

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
shaygetz said:
Not really sure if the budget allows for razor wire.:rolleyes: Then again, if I put some up, my wife would no longer be living in the house. That might save some money somehow. :cry:

You guys are terrible! :rolleyes: :D :D

-doc

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Our tree goes too far to the floor for me to do anything so I thought I'd try to get in some physical therapy and see if I could do something on a desk we had to move to make room for the tree.

Attachments

• Layout side.jpg
    Layout side.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Santas hill.jpg
    Santas hill.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 86
  • The village square.jpg
    The village square.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 84

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Good job Don,
It sure ranks up there with the rest of the picks i have seen here, what do you guys use for the snow effect?...have a good one..steve

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
ausien said:
Good job Don,
It sure ranks up there with the rest of the picks i have seen here, what do you guys use for the snow effect?...have a good one..steve
Thanks Steve, I didn't retouch the photos, rather I used a can of snow spray and tried to get some snow on the roofs but wound up spraying everything. Turned out that it looks like it's snowing in the pictures. Just one problem, I'm still cleaning off the tracks. :eek: :eek:

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Don

Looks like the physical therapy worked out real well. Sure looks like Christmas from up here in Wyoming. If you want some real snow I can send you a can.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
ausien said:
...(W)hat do you guys use for the snow effect?...have a good one..steve

Mine is painted OSB, oriented strand board, made up of chips of wood glued together under presure. The effect is interesting, kind of like frost on a window.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Ron,
I`LL be in that, :thumb: I would like some snow here the temp is 44 deg c (110 fht) send me a ship load PLEASE.... its hot enough to roast the turkey (with out the oven):D:D:D ... have a good one..steve

No Christmas Layout, but.....

on a related note, my neighbor across the street droped off a box of old ho cars, engine, track and assorted items that he used to put around his tree. He said the thing just stopped running one season a few years back and has sat in the christmas boxes since. Well I disassembled the little steam engine, a 0-6-0 and found that it was all fouled up with cotton fibers from years of running in the "snow" under the tree. It was realy a mess and all the plastic gears were eaten up too. It makes a great dummy engine to sit in the engine house scene area of the layout. :D

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Well I was going to post a pic of Brenda's x-mas train only my little $1.98 camera laid down on me. After seeing the pics from up above, I'm glad that my little camera laid down.
Really nice work everyone!
By the way, 3-phase, I think that when your wife says, "watch the oven", I have a funny feeling that she meant for you to open the door and check if anything has caught fire yet. Does the oven ever do anything when your watching it on camera? If it does, let me know so as I can get a camera also! I need a good excuse to get an approval from my wife for a camera . (LOL)
Merry Christmas to all!

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Looking good everyone. :thumb:
We got our tree up and tonight my son and I started setting up the trains.
This is only the first track plan, I'm sure by New Years we will have them running out of the living room into the kitchen.

Attachments

• Dec08006.JPG
    Dec08006.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 159

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
After touching her nose to the track and getting shocked a couple times she lays down and watches the trains every time they run.

Attachments

• Dec08031.JPG
    Dec08031.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 143

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Could you train the kids the same way :D :D :D , Ray??. It seamed to work for the dog(TARA/ dingo) they realy are smart dogs but dont trust the to far.....have a good one...steve.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
A mix of scales...

More pictures? Okay, this is ours! My 2 1/2 year old loves it (so do I)!!!

Attachments

• low resDCP_2712.jpg
    low resDCP_2712.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 135

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
Is that the disney monorail? If so, do you know if they have it in N-gauge? I would love to add a monorail for my layout, but so far I can't find anything but HO. Looks great BTW!!!:thumb:

-doc