Changing motors

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by ecutrer, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ecutrer

ecutrer New Member

I am new to working on locomotives. Where would I get some good info on how to repair and maintain locomotives as well as possibly upgrade the motor? Where could I purchase various types of motors? My present locomotive is a Bachmann ON30.
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

As for repairs, and maintenance, I learned the hard way, and have a large spare parts box as a result of the learning experience. I'm not aware of any printed matter on the subject of repairs. Replacement motors can usually be purchased at, or ordered through your local hobby shop. Northwest Shortline ( NWSL ) has can motors in a bunch of different sizes. I've also used a few Kato motors. There have been articles in Model Railroader, and Railroad Model Craftsman, on motor replacements / upgrades / installation in scratchbuilds. The "magazine index" on the Model Railroader site, might give you issue dates, and article titles.
  3. ecutrer

ecutrer New Member

Thanks! I figured I would have to learn by doing. Will check out your suggestions.
  4. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

How about adding a flywheel to a drive train that doesn't have one? Any suggestions?
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

NorthWest Short Line's catalogue has some good info in it regarding regearing and remotoring, and of course, all of the products they carry are also listed.

Wayne
  6. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

this place?
    http://www.nwsl.com/

7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

That's the place.:thumb: I was referring to the paper catalogue, but it looks like everything is available in the link, too.

Wayne